Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger No. 1

Old 11-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger No. 1

Any experience with these rifles? I'm getting an urge to buy one.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

I'm one of the biggest fans of ruger no 1 rifles. I own them from varmit calibers to dangerous game. A very well balanced rifle and great accuracy. I believe for the money they have no equal.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

I have a little experience as I use to have one in 280 Remington it shot great touching holes at 100 yards it balanced well but it was so heavy I hated hunting with it it had a heavy barrel though. That's the only reason I sold it but all in all great guns
Old 11-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I've had four, a sporter and a heavy barrel in .204, 30-06 and a 45-70. One of my good buddies now owns the .204 sporter and it's one of the most accurate rifles he's ever owned, the other heavy barrel laminated .204 was just too heavy and so-so accuracy so it's gone. The 30-06 was accurate and I've regretted ever even considering selling it, but in my gun trading days I was brain dead. One I should never have let go, beautiful wood and that's not uncommon on the no 1's. The 45-70 was also stainless laminated and a shooter, but here in Indiana there was nothing to hunt with it so I sold it. I say go for it, they are an awesome gun, super strong, fun to shoot and everyone should own at least one--I'm planning on getting another-----John
Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Typical Buck

I own a 1B in 30-06 that is extremely picky with the ammo it likes. It now shoots good (1.25 moa) with handloads but took nearly a year to find a load she liked. They can be hit and miss with accuracy but you will not find a better gun for the money. Fit and finish are great. As stated earlier, this is not the gun you want to tote all day long as they are heavier than most.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great rifles overall. I love the looks and feel. Some shoot right out of the box, some require tinkering.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOVE THEM!!!!!! I have one in .220 Swift Heavy Barrel and it shoots like a dream!!!!!!! Sub 1/2" groups with handloads!!!!!!!! Brother has one in 22-250 and shoots the same!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 11-24-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have one. Its a laminate/stainless tropical rifle in 405 Win. Ruger only made these with this finish and caliber combo for a year or two. And I'm a big fan of big bore sub magnum rifles like the .405 and .45-70. This rilfe shoots like a champ. The only thing I don't like about it is the front sight is too fine for my old eyes. So I ended up putting a scope on it. Great rifle, strong, accurate but like the other guys said, a bit heavy.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

ive got one but my experiance with it is still limited. long sotry short it wouldnt shoot under 4 inches when i first got it, worked up a good load for it but the dealer insisted on sending it to the warrenty center and it came back shooting 2 inches at 300 yards. its still picky with that i feed it but now that i know what it likes its turned out to be a good deer rifle, even if it wasnt meant to be (ie 30-06 100 year centenial decorative rifle).
Old 11-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wayspr
I own a 1B in 30-06 that is extremely picky with the ammo it likes. It now shoots good (1.25 moa) with handloads but took nearly a year to find a load she liked. They can be hit and miss with accuracy but you will not find a better gun for the money. Fit and finish are great. As stated earlier, this is not the gun you want to tote all day long as they are heavier than most.
..... My experiences exactly. I've owned a 25-06 and a 300 Win Mag in 1V. Both left a bit to be desired in the consistency dept.. I let them go.