Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Remington Model 870 Wing Master. >

Remington Model 870 Wing Master.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington Model 870 Wing Master.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Remington Model 870 Wing Master.

I ordered a new Remington Model 870 Wing Master 20-gauge a couple of weeks ago.
I have owned a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12-gauge for 30+years.
I am happy to report that the overall fit, finish & quality looks great. I will be using this shotgun for mountain grouse, sharptail grouse & chucker. I will continue to use my 12-gauge for pheasent, ducks & geese.

My new 20-gauge came with a high gloss finish, vent rib, mid bead & three choke tubes.
I shot two boxes of shells at clay targets and liked the way it handled.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Remington Wingmaster ia a superb shotgun. The old 20 gauge Wingmaster was made on the 12 gauge frame: I have one with the corn cob fore end and modified choke 28" barrel. It is a nice handling gun but it does not handle as nice as the new model 870 20 gauge on the smaller frame.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

My dad has a 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster SuperMag. It is a very nice looking gun and has been extremely reliable. I have a 870 SuperMag and I love it. Enjoy the new gun
Old 04-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Wolf killer
I ordered a new Remington Model 870 Wing Master 20-gauge a couple of weeks ago.
I have owned a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12-gauge for 30+years.
I am happy to report that the overall fit, finish & quality looks great. I will be using this shotgun for mountain grouse, sharptail grouse & chucker. I will continue to use my 12-gauge for pheasent, ducks & geese.

My new 20-gauge came with a high gloss finish, vent rib, mid bead & three choke tubes.
I shot two boxes of shells at clay targets and liked the way it handled.
Can't go wrong with it!........Good choice!

I have been using a Winchester mod12 20ga for Quail & Snipe since my father gave it to me in 1952..........Use a BRN A-5 12ga for Ducks & Doves that my wife bought me the Xmas of 1967 , have 3 different barrels for it.....
Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am 40 years old and have a wingmaster 12 ga that's older than me. I've beaten it up since I was 15 and it is still the master of the turkey woods. Best shotguns ever made. glad to hear they still are
Old 04-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default 870 wingmaster

I still have an 870 wingmaster I purchased in the early 70s (not to date myself) A few years ago I bought an 870 super mag. I was really dissapointed on how they have cut corners on workmanship. Remington has gone to a lot of plastic vs steel in their guns. The plug is plastic vs wood. The magazine plunger is plastic vs steel. Mine was a camo model. They even sprayed some camo paint inside the magazine. I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy. Good luck with your gun.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be fifty-one in a month and I still have my 870 Wingmaster in 20 gauge that I got for Christmas when I was twelve. Had to do a little gunsmithing on it over the years, but it is still a good shotgun. I'm hoping my son will take an interest in shooting it when he is a little older.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Spike

i shoot my dads 870 wingmaster that he bought in 1983. its a beautiful gun, dark walnut stock i believe? i can see why they sold 10 million. he bought me a 870 express in 2003 for my 16th bday and like wetpwdr53 said the quality just isnt like the older ones. you can tell the wood is cheaper but at least i dont feel bad ripping it through briars rabbit hunting or in the water duck hunting.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned

My dad bought a Remington Wingmaster 20 gauge shotgun when he was in the US Navy in 1954 and it has killed numerous deer, turkeys, grouse, hundreds of rabbits and pheasants.

He gave it to my brother about 15 years ago and my brother still has it in his gun cabinet to this day.

I bought my first Remington Wingmaster Supermag when they first came out. As a matter of fact, I put a deposit on two of them in Feburary of 1997? and picked them up about September or October of 1997.

I'm pretty sure about the dates because I had it in my car when I was in a auto accident May 1998 and I had it to a gunsmith the fall of that year when something was not aligning right.

The old Wingmasters were as slick as a well oiled machine, the new Wingmasters are a poor excuse of a firearm - as others has said, they have cheapened them with no metal blueing except on the Fore end tube assembly and some internal parts. The rest all has that black powder coat type finish that is as rough as a corn cob.

Regardless of what you get (old or new) - the barrels all interchange from the first to the last as long as you use the same size chamber from one gun / barrel to the next, which makes them the Small Block Chevrolet of firearms.

Last edited by Mr. Deer Hunter; 10-09-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion Remington makes the best pump shotgun made. The newer ones have some plastic on em but they work as good as the older ones. The only other pumpgun I ever use is a old Stevens 67 it's good too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.