Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Do not buy rem. Model 770 >

Do not buy rem. Model 770

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Do not buy rem. Model 770

Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
hey lets all boycot rem till they re-introduce the 788, they were a solid entry level rifle.
RR
That was a failed attempt at making a crappy rifle.....
Old 04-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Remington still makes a quality gun , maybe not in the 770 , but lets not forget about the great weatherby they have a *** model also sold at wal mart . alot of you guys are dogging remington if ya dont like it dont buy it. sound almost like some obama backers ..........
Old 04-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by botechboy
Remington still makes a quality gun , maybe not in the 770 , but lets not forget about the great weatherby they have a *** model also sold at wal mart . alot of you guys are dogging remington if ya dont like it dont buy it. sound almost like some obama backers ..........
You talking about the Weatherby Vanguard being ***? that is actually a pretty good rifle in my experience, and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as a 710, the 710 is far more cheaply made, and has had a great deal of problems, where the Vanguard is pretty much on equal footing with the Remington 700.

Seems like the only things saving Remington's reputation these days are the die hard fanboys, their products sure as heck don't do anything to make it better!

Last edited by CommonSense; 04-11-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Im not defending the fact 770 and other models arent up to par I own an 870 turkey gun that is 18 years old . All my rifles are T/C ENCORE barrells and 2 icons I still ..it dont even matter
Old 05-27-2010, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The interesting and probably most telling thing is that you hear more criticism of it than all of the other entry level guns out there combined.

There's also a difference in the kind of criticism. You hear a lot more horror stories about the really major foul ups like bolt handles falling off with the 770. The Stevens 200s, the vanguards, the XLs don't seem to be having those sorts of problems with anything near the frequency as the 770s.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by botechboy
I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 WBY Mag. that I bought new six years ago and even though it is not a "sub MOA" model it still shoots half inch groups. I have never had any kind of problem with it and it is clearly a rugged, well made quality rifle that has no plastic parts, including the trigger guard. It does cost a little more than the Remington 770 but less than a 700 and is at least as good, if not better than a 700. I have nothing against Remington. I probably do more hunting with my Remington SP-10 Magnum auto-loading shotgun than any other weapon I have and it is an excellent firearm but when I bought it new seven years ago it cost $1,250. My SP-10 proves that Remington can manufacture first class guns but they do not come cheap.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Lemaitre
I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 WBY Mag. that I bought new six years ago and even though it is not a "sub MOA" model it still shoots half inch groups. I have never had any kind of problem with it and it is clearly a rugged, well made quality rifle that has no plastic parts, including the trigger guard. It does cost a little more than the Remington 770 but less than a 700 and is at least as good, if not better than a 700. I have nothing against Remington. I probably do more hunting with my Remington SP-10 Magnum auto-loading shotgun than any other weapon I have and it is an excellent firearm but when I bought it new seven years ago it cost $1,250. My SP-10 proves that Remington can manufacture first class guns but they do not come cheap.
He doesn't have any experience with the Vanguard, he just assumes since it doesn't cost $1500 that it's a bad rifle, oh well let him stick with his Remchesters.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Howa 1500 / Weatherby vanguard are, IMO, one of the best built actions out there under a grand and better than many that cost over a grand.

I'd take a vanguard over a Mark-V any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Risasi
That was a failed attempt at making a crappy rifle.....

The Remington 788 had problems with the bolts breaking off too.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

I would never purchase a 770 due to all the negative reviews it received. After picking one up at the store I just felt cheap. I wouldn't say this model is representative of the "Remington" brand. I've owned bolt actions from most major brands and the only rifle I prefer over my Rem 700 MTSS is the Kimber 8400.

My Vanguard doesn't even come close to the Remington 700. Vangaurd is more on par with a Savage. Decent rifle, just not a 700.

The Remington 770 - shouldn't even be in production. It's hurting Remingtons quality perception as evidenced by this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.