Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Good single shot centerfires? >

Good single shot centerfires?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Good single shot centerfires?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Of rifles that are currently made (and if money is no problem) the Ruger No. 1 is the one for you, although the H and R looks like a nice little gun (especially for the price).

I have a TCR '83 (No longer made), however, there are time one can find its less glamorous sister the TCR '87 (also no longer made) at a Gun Show. My rifle shoots (and places) like a dream. Futher, this was made back when Thompson Center was privately owned (now a subsidiary of Smith and Wesson???).
Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Of rifles that are currently made (and if money is no problem) the Ruger No. 1 is the one for you, although the H and R looks like a nice little gun (especially for the price).

I have a TCR '83 (No longer made), however, there are time one can find its less glamorous sister the TCR '87 (also no longer made) at a Gun Show. My rifle shoots (and places) like a dream. Futher, this was made back when Thompson Center was privately owned (now a subsidiary of Smith and Wesson???).
Old 12-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

the handi rifle may be the cheapest one you can buy,but the triggers are usually really bad on those guns.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dylan_b
they have 2 problems. the first is that like all singles they have non floating barrels so encores (and all other singles) benefit from a GOOD quality bedding by a gunsmith (not no basement job, rifles like the encore need perfection) but most guys out there get good fitting. another problem is the pin, it can sometimes drift side to side effecting the point of impact. both of those are easy fixes that often never become a problem. of course most of the guys on the forums who have good ones dont go around bragging about the good accuracy. but when somebody gets one thats got a small flaw they will make a million posts about how bad they shoot when most of them do shoot well but they make the minority look like a majority. they are very accurate rifles for the design and applications, its just that guys get pissed when a rifle dont shoot so they dont shut up about it or try anything to fix it.
I like my T/C and this guy hit it on the dot as far as I am concerned.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm certainly no authority on the TC Encore, because I have never owned one..However, many of my friends have them, and It seems like many of them have complained about accuracy problems...

Actually, the main reason I would never buy one is because, in my opinion, they are one of the UGLIEST rifles ever designed...... If I had a DOG that ugly, I'd shave his butt and make him walk backwards..

Fortunately , beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to my eye, the Encore is uglier than a side order of <expletive deleted>...!!...

The Ruger # 1, on the other hand, is one classy looking rifle...That would be my choice, should I opt to purchase a single shot...
Old 12-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default It's all good

I own five CF single shots. The Handi-rifle by H&R/NEF, a Ruger #1, a T/C Encore, a T/C Contender, and a Browning 1885 Hi-Wall.
I'm happy with all of them. No complaints. They are all good shooters.
Best buy is the H&R. Most versatile is the Encore. Prettiest is a toss-up between the Ruger and the Browning.
Accuracy - if I do my part, I hit what I'm aiming at with every one of them.
Pete
Old 12-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

I love my Encore. I have a custom shop rifle barrel chambered in the smokin 264 Win mag and I have had no problem shooting yotes, pigs and deer past 200 yards. I have yet to try benching the rifle and playing at 500, but as far as bringing meat home, I love it!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I have a H&R and I also have a rossi combo. The rossi combo is a 20 gage and a 223, the rossi is reasonably accurate and the 20 gage seem sjust fine. When I say reasonably accurate, I am saying I can get about 1.5 moa out of it regularly with 55 grain FMJ's.
The handi rifle I bought was originally a 243. It was and is a sub moa rifle. It doesnt like hand loads. The extractor has issues getting handloads out of the chamber. Many 243's seemed to have this problem in handi rifles.
I sent the handi rifle off about 9 months ago to get a 45-70 barrel fitted. The accessory barrel fits better than the stock 243. It is really accurate. As accurate as my marlin 1895. So, I give the nod to the handi rifle if I had to choose. The Rossi barrel is thinner and seems like it has less workmanship in it.

I always prefer bolt rifles (unless were talking about levers) but I like any old rifle. In fact, I bought the handi and rossi when I had to buy a rifle but couldnt afford a bolt.
EJ
Old 01-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have always wanted a Ruger # 1, for all the reasons everyone else says. Waiting for my wife to buy if for me...been waiting a long time...
I know two different professional gun smiths who have love affairs with the HR Handi rifles. They are so bombproof simple, carry so nice, and are accurate to boot. Remember, anything other than a single shot only carries extra shells for you, and adds the weight as a penalty. After the first shot, who cares? Caliber is what ever you like. It makes no difference in choice for a single shot. Why would you plan differently for a magazine rifle?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by CriticalPlacement
what about the Apex?????? I can never get any response on how they shoot!
To answer your question. My .50 cal apex shoots GREAT! It really is one SWEET gun. Was never a huge cva fan(always owned Knight's and t/c's and thought they were of much better quality) until I shouldered this gun. Everything about this gun is TOP SHELF. I ain't kiddin' ya. Just got the 25'' stainless .243 bull barrel for coyotes. I haven't shot the .243 yet(muzzleloader starts this wkend), but when I do I'll let ya know. I have a feeling it's gonna be pure poison for them song dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.