Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Good single shot centerfires? >

Good single shot centerfires?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Good single shot centerfires?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Spike

Default Good single shot centerfires?

Wanted to add a single shot deer rifle to my arsenal....I never really looked into these guns much, I was wondering if anyone has had good expeirience with em and what make/model they were........
Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you want to spend?

If money isn't an object, then the Ruger #1 would be my first choice.

If I were on a tight budget, I'd look at the H&R Handi-Rifles.

Mike
Old 11-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Critical - Driftrider hit the nail on the head. The H&R isn't very pretty but I they can shoot and shoot well. The Ruger #1 has nice sleek lines and is also a good shooter. But it costs quite a bit more than the H&R.
A lot of people like the Encore but I could never get the 2 I had to shoot very well. One I had sent back to T/C twice and still couldn't get it shooting.
If I were to pick a single shot it would definately be the Ruger #1. Now, picking a chambering would be the hardest part.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

I recommend the Handi-Rifle and an additional barrel or two to make the chambering choice a little easier.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Spike

what about the Apex?????? I can never get any response on how they shoot!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

I recently bought a Youth Handi-Rifle in .243 for my daughter to use. I'm impressed by the accuracy, but have yet to shoot a deer with it.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CriticalPlacement
what about the Apex?????? I can never get any response on how they shoot!
The Apex hasn't been out that long, so there's a good chance that no one here has owned one yet. The last time I was at Scheel's, who's got the biggest gun selection in this area, I checked to see if they had them yet just to fondle one, but they did not.

So, either be patient and wait until someone happens along that has one, or just go buy one and then you can be the first to give us a detailed range report!

Mike
Old 11-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Spike

I currently shoot (and have killed game) with an H&R .308 w/ a Nikon Pro-Staff on it. It's a great little gun, cheap, dependable. I think I paid about $200.00 for it about 2 years ago. The only thing I don't like about the gun was the base mount gap in the front section when mounting a scope, you CAN bow the mount if you tighten the front screw down too hard, so if you purchase a Weaver base for it, be watchful of the gap!

Last edited by chammons; 11-28-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

im in the market for a ruger number 1 international right now. i dont expect it to shoot like a bolt gun but im plenty happy with 1.5-2 moa which my father gets from his early no.1 int. actualy 1.5-2 moa is pretty good for a mannlicher stocked falling block rifle.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol did i see rossi 223 yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.