HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Good single shot centerfires? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/310924-good-single-shot-centerfires.html)

CriticalPlacement 11-27-2009 08:39 AM

Good single shot centerfires?

Wanted to add a single shot deer rifle to my arsenal....I never really looked into these guns much, I was wondering if anyone has had good expeirience with em and what make/model they were........

driftrider 11-27-2009 11:28 AM

What do you want to spend?

If money isn't an object, then the Ruger #1 would be my first choice.

If I were on a tight budget, I'd look at the H&R Handi-Rifles.

Mike

bronko22000 11-27-2009 11:57 AM

Critical - Driftrider hit the nail on the head. The H&R isn't very pretty but I they can shoot and shoot well. The Ruger #1 has nice sleek lines and is also a good shooter. But it costs quite a bit more than the H&R.
A lot of people like the Encore but I could never get the 2 I had to shoot very well. One I had sent back to T/C twice and still couldn't get it shooting.
If I were to pick a single shot it would definately be the Ruger #1. Now, picking a chambering would be the hardest part.

krub6b 11-28-2009 06:34 AM

I recommend the Handi-Rifle and an additional barrel or two to make the chambering choice a little easier.:biggrin:

CriticalPlacement 11-28-2009 08:10 AM

what about the Apex?????? I can never get any response on how they shoot!

FLBandit 11-28-2009 08:22 AM

I recently bought a Youth Handi-Rifle in .243 for my daughter to use. I'm impressed by the accuracy, but have yet to shoot a deer with it.

driftrider 11-28-2009 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by CriticalPlacement (Post 3513671)
what about the Apex?????? I can never get any response on how they shoot!

The Apex hasn't been out that long, so there's a good chance that no one here has owned one yet. The last time I was at Scheel's, who's got the biggest gun selection in this area, I checked to see if they had them yet just to fondle one, but they did not.

So, either be patient and wait until someone happens along that has one, or just go buy one and then you can be the first to give us a detailed range report! ;)

Mike

chammons 11-28-2009 01:30 PM

I currently shoot (and have killed game) with an H&R .308 w/ a Nikon Pro-Staff on it. It's a great little gun, cheap, dependable. I think I paid about $200.00 for it about 2 years ago. The only thing I don't like about the gun was the base mount gap in the front section when mounting a scope, you CAN bow the mount if you tighten the front screw down too hard, so if you purchase a Weaver base for it, be watchful of the gap!

dylan_b 11-28-2009 04:16 PM

im in the market for a ruger number 1 international right now. i dont expect it to shoot like a bolt gun but im plenty happy with 1.5-2 moa which my father gets from his early no.1 int. actualy 1.5-2 moa is pretty good for a mannlicher stocked falling block rifle.

halfbakedi420 11-28-2009 04:37 PM

lol did i see rossi 223 yet?