Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
NEF 7mm-08 shoots like crap >

NEF 7mm-08 shoots like crap

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

NEF 7mm-08 shoots like crap

Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NEF 7mm-08 shoots like crap

bought a new NEF 7mm-08. checked base before mounting scope rings... Put weaver bases on it with a bushnell trophy scope... shooting win balistic silver tip ammo and this gun will only shoot about 3" groups at 100 yards... Pretty sad gun!!!

Will be selling this pig... Wont by another NEF handi rifle anytime soon!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried a different brand of shells or bullet weight? Some rifles shoot different brand shells better. I have a .35 Remington and if I try to shoot 180 grain in it the gun is not very accurate, but if I use 200 grain it is really accurate. We have a couple of the NEF rifles and never had a problem with them. They are good little guns that get tossed in a truck and bounced around and still shoot good.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

I had one in .280 and for the life of me I couldn't get it to shoot better than 2" groups, even with handloads. I tried the o-ring trick, I tried just about everything. I ended up trading it in on something else. I do know alot of people swear by them but I have heard more than a few horror stories also. I guess it's the chance you take on very cheaply priced rifle.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't give up yet. Experiment with different ammo brands and bullet weights and you might discover it can drive nails. Some guns are fussy.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own two 7mm-08s. I think your choice of cartridge is the berries for any medium sized game on earth! I really love mine.

I've got a Rem 700 Light Varmint and a TC Encore. Now, I'm a handloader. But that Rem shoots Fed Premium 140gr Ballistic Tips into .5 CTC groups at 100 yards.... and frankly thats about all I'm good for shooting wise... so I actually stick with factory stuff in that rifle. Having shot everything else made plus right many handloads through it, the Fed still shoots the best.

Now, the TC is a totally different animal. Again, I've shot every factory ammo out of that was made and loaded up to 2006... and the best it would do is about 3.5" CTC. Put some Light Mags in it and it would go to 6". I have finally found a load that will produce decent results in the form of a 120gr Barnes TSX with 38gr of IMR 3031... not a really hot load by any stretch.... but I'll be letting the girlfriend shoot deer out to 200 with it. Should work like new money.

Point of all this.... 'some guns' aren't picky.... almost all guns are picky.... some shooters just happen to luck into the sweet load on the first go round like I did with my Rem. It took over two years to get that TC to tighten up. Not really worth it in my opinion.... but I learned plenty along the way.

I'll add as well.... that I am not sold on the hinged pin, break open style rifle as far as a supieror accuracy firearm is concerned. Sure you can get them to shoot... but you take a regular old 700 ADL or a Savage 11 series and you'll probably get it to shoot inside an inch with a bit of ammo trial.... most of the encores that I have actually seen (not heard) shoot inside an inch at 100 yards have had custom barrels and all have been with handloads.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

the nef guns take alot of good tuning to get to really shoot well. i know it might seem like b.s. but i can get my nef 30-30 to shoot under a inch with handloads and matchkings. the quickest way to get accuracy is to first sand the barrel channel in the forearms down. second step is to bed the forearm which is actually easy compared to bedding a bolt action. i have 4 nef/h&r single shots and they ALL shoot under a inch with the right bullet after bedding and a very soft lapping. and that includes my h&r huntsmen muzzleloader
Old 11-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

First, go buy a few different varieties of ammo for it. As said above, some rifles are picky. Don't overlook the cheap stuff either. My Savage shoots the cheap Winchester 150 gr Power Points into 3/4" all day. Rem 150 grain Core Locks average about 1.5-1.75". Same weight, same basic bullet shape, and roughly the same velocity, but one shoots far better than the other.

Secondly, what do you really expect from an inexpensive break action rifle? 3" groups aren't great, but they're not terrible, either. 3 MOA is a dead deer to 200 yards or a little more. So unless you're shooting farther than that, it will do ok. Most of the factory T/C Encores I've witnessed won't shoot sub-MOA. Those that do usually have aftermarket barrels and custom accurizing work done to get them there. But if you're going to give up hope after trying just one type of ammo, you're probably throwing your money away prematurely.

Mike
Old 11-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't give up yet. Double check your scope mount and rings. More than once I have had a scope mount come just a bit loose after initially mounting it and cause accuracy issues. Now I use Loctite and let it get good and set before taking the gun out to shoot. The single shots can be a bit picky with ammo in my experience. I would try some regular ole Remington CoreLokt's in it before giving up.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Try some different ammo first.. My NEF 444 shoots pretty good.. If you still have problems call NEF..