Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

shotgun for deer!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Spike

Default shotgun for deer!

Always thought it would be neet to hunt deer with a shotgun slug. Im going to get a new shotgun strictly for deer and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Im sticking with a 20 gauge and am looking for accuracy and dependability.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I dont find anything "neat" about shooting slugs, they kick HARD!(even 20ga), theyre expensive, and they are about the least accurate projectile you can shoot. If you're not required to shoot slugs in your state, I would not recommend wasting $ on a dedicated slug gun, if you can legally use a rifle. Even a good muzzleloader would be a more accurate, economical, and much more fun(neat) gun to shoot, than a shotgun, but thats JMHO.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

H&R USH in 20g is a frinkin tack driver...I can clover leaf a nickle size bull at 100yrd shooting lightfield 2 3/4 slugs. My 12g mossberg 695 bolt action is pretty damn accurate too...same accuracy as H&R but about size of a quarter (slugs bigger) with lightfield 2 3/4 slugs...if you dont have to shoot slug guns tho...i wouldnt...pain to sight in (kick hell out of you in process)....BUT..they knock the snot outa bucks
Old 09-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Spike

1 thing about useing a slug , it will put the HUNT back into hunting, can't rely on the range of a hipower rifle.
And don't fool your self, there is more than enuff knock down in a slug. The 20 is a good choice, tends to shoot flatter, and "kick"? It's a gun
Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a good buddy, Bill H., that has used a Remington 870, 12 ga. - 3", exclusively for decades to hunt deer. (We are not restricted to a such a set-up. He just choises to use this.) He uses a Hastings rifled barrel. I helped him sight it in. He has a compact Leupold Vari X-III in something like 1.5-6 x 32 mounted on the shotgun with a neat over the top scope mount that is rock solid. He has taken deer cleanly to around 125 yards. Have no experience with 20 ga. slugsters.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Spike

If you need to use a shot gun to hunt then the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter is the one you want. I have the deluxe version in 12 gauge and it is devastating out to 200y. I shot a buck last year ranged at 93y and dropped him in his tracks. I only shoot Hornady SST sabots. They are cheaper than most, but don't let that fool you. This gun/ammo combination is accurate and deadly. I do want to add that the H&R 12 gauge has a 10 gauge barrel that is bored for the 12 slug. This adds a lot of weight to the gun, but really helps with recoil. Hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

+1 on the H&R slug gun. My buddy has the 20 gauge and it is deadly accurate with Lightfields. He's taken deer out to 125 yards no problem. The 20 gauge is a better choice IMO for slugs- a lot less recoil, but still very powerful - almost as much as a 12 gauge.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have this shotgun in 20ga., it's topped off with a Leupold VX-II in 3-9X40, she is a tack driver with Hornady SST slugs. There is no question towards the 20ga for knocl down power. With todays high tech slugs the 20ga will put down the game.

Buy it, and good luck !!!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

i shoot both 12 and 20 guage slug guns. the recoil is gonna be not so nice with either.if your gonna own a single shotgun and hunt other game like ducks i would stick with the 12 guage if it were me.i dont agree a 20 guage is flatter shooting though.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Spike

Being a lefty, I have a Browning BPS slug gun in walnut with a Nikon scope. I like the fact that it's a truly ambidextrous gun (loads, unloads and ejects from the bottom) and it's not too expensive. With that said, this thing kicks like a mule. I made the mistake of shooting my .22lr for about 45 minutes and then went right to my slug gun. It isn't fun to shoot at all, but when you have no choice, you use it. Good thing we have four months of bow hunting in Ohio. I also can't wait to go hunting in the Catskills in Upstate New York in December. I'll get to use my .30-06 savage that I just finished customizing. Perfect for deer and black bear!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.