Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Identify this .30 .30 lever action >

Identify this .30 .30 lever action

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Identify this .30 .30 lever action

Old 09-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Spike

Default Identify this .30 .30 lever action

Hi all,

Sorry I dont have a pic as it is on layway at the pawnshop, but I'll do my best to decribe it to ya. It is a mossberg lever action with a brass buttplate no rubber pad, also has native american engraving on receiver, dont know about that. I think it is an Indian Chief, fancy engraving on the other side. Near as I can tell, it is a commemorative edition of mossberg 472c maybe or maybe a 205 revealtion, just not sure and yes I searched all over the net and didn't find much on it. Just wanted to know when it was produced and if I made a good buy for two hundred bucks. It looks very lightly used too. Thanks

Last edited by UncleC; 09-08-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Spike

Hi All,

I think I may i figured more out about this gun, it is a mossberg 472 abas I believe. Was it a pretty good model? Any info would be appreciated. Thx
Old 09-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is a good reliable gun. The price was good too.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

well way back mossberg had made leverguns, they were meant to be "deluxe" models over the lesser winchesters and marlins. ive got a s.i.r mailorder catalogue from the 1960's and they were listed $35 more then the un checkered winchester and had the option of a peep sight. i think because of the quality that they were meant to be built to back then they might be better then the new ones
Old 09-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

From the description of the brass buttplate and the etched Indian scenes it sounds like a Model 472 One in Five Thousand. If it is it was made in 1974 and serial numbered between 1 and 5,000. You got a good buy on it.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Mossberg manufactured the Model 472C from, 1972 to 1976. The design made use of a locking bolt much like the better known Browning designed Winchesters. Unlike the Winchesters, the trigger mechanism was attached to the operating lever and a hammer-block safety lever was fitted to the rear left side of the receiver. The Model 472 superficially resembled the Marlin 336, with a loading gate on the side of the receiver and a prominent operating-lever pivot.

There is no collector interest in house brand firearms, their values are always lower than their counterparts that carry the original manufactures brand name. I would estimate value to be in the $125.00 or less range. As for how good the rifle is, Mossberg has a reputation for manufacturing inexpensive but good quality firearms. If you can hit what you are aiming at, and the rifle functions well without malfunctioning or jamming, you probably have a good gun.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

UncleC have you found out what the gun is yet?