Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Scope mount ???

Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scope mount ???

Those certainly aren't holes tapped for a scope mount! Could you imagine mounting a scope on two screws an inch apart?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a Marlin 55 that I turned into a slug gun, it has one of these peeps on it. Give me a couple of days to research it, I think that it was made by Lyman. If you can get a gunsmith to drill and tap the receiver it'll take a Weaver side mount. The bolt raises too high to get a scope directly over the bore, but that'll allow you to use the peep sight if your scope fogs up.

How long is your barrel? The marlin came in two configurations; a 36" barrel which they called their goose gun (which is pretty ironic sincemine only has a 2 3/4" bore) and the model that I have had a 25 1/2" barrel with a poly choke. It was the worst choke ever, as you turned the adjustment it would throw the pattern in a circle around the line of sight, I guess that it had some concentricity issues.

Here's the best part, I cut the barrel down to 20", drilled and tapped the receiver, machined a custom side scope mount and glass bedded the receiver. Using Winchester 1 oz foster slugs I can hold a 3" group at 100 yards.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: throwingStarr

On this older 12 gauge bolt action can anyone tell me if the screws in the pics could quite possibly an area to mount a scope for this gun and if would anyone know how to aquire a scope mount for this particular shotgun.?

If you try to mount a scope back that far on the reciever the bolt will hit the scope no matter how high you mount it. Unfortunately, adjustable sights and or a long eye relief scope is your only option you canused. e-mail me at [email protected] if you would like to know the process or would like for me to do it for you?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

My internet was down for three days so I couldn't get back to you. There are no markings on my peep sight so I still don't know who makes it or what model it is. I do know that the position and hole spacing was very standard back when that gun was made. I'm still going to keep looking for you, we'll find you a sight.