Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

semi auto for deer

Old 12-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Spike

Default semi auto for deer

I am a beginner hunter and love it, i am looking to get a semi auto either .308 or 30.06 for hunting deer in upstate NY, i reLally like the browning shorttrac .308 because it is light, if any one can help me out here ion as to what is the best choice please let me know im considering browning shorttrack .308 or remington 750
Old 12-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: semi auto for deer

i have several 742's 7400's and two 750's in whelen and 06. all are carbines. i havnt ever had any trouble but i take good care of them and maintain them often. keeping them clean is key. i think a 750 carbine in 06 would make you a hell of a good deer rifle although i prefer them pump 760/7600 over the semi auto.....
Old 12-28-2008, 08:56 PM
bigcountry

I own 7400's and browning bars. The bars really blow the 7400's away in quality. Night and day difference. I would pass on that shorttrac and go with the safari (steel reciever) BAR.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:18 PM

This year I bought a Browning Bar Safari 30.06 with open sights and I could not be happier. It is a quality gun that will last a lifetime. This paticular rifle is about 10 years old but in perfect shape. I also hunt in NY in the northern tier and the group I hunt with use the bar and a couple use the pump remingtons. These are seasoned vets that will break a rifle over their knee if they malfunction and they use bar's. I never used a rem auto so I can't say anything about them but the new rem auto in 35 whelen could also be a great woods gun.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:16 AM

+1 for the Browning .308
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Browning is MUCH better is both design and actual quality/reliability/accuracy. I've worked on a BUNCH of Remington semiautos over the years, usually for cycling or extraction issues.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

The Browning is MUCH better is both design and actual quality/reliability/accuracy. I've worked on a BUNCH of Remington semiautos over the years, usually for cycling or extraction issues.
Neil, how do you like the shorttracs?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Spike

im getting alot of good feed back thanks guys, for me weight and reliabilty is the big issue thatwhy i was thinking short trac and .308, but ive been hearing 30.06 is the way to go im still up in the air about that but i think i will go browning they are expensive but i think i will have it for many many years
Old 12-29-2008, 06:25 PM

If your hunting in NY is anything like I've heard then your shots will not be more than 50-75 yds max.
I must ask why do you want something in 30/06?
Here is just a thought, Ruger Deerfield carbine, caliber, 44 mag,effective range 150yds plus, reason for suggestion; Neither of the other mentioned rifles will be as light and quick to the shoulder. If you want light and fast this is a rifle you should take a look at before you buy anything. It's not a 200 yd gun and it will not make your friends piss their pants when you pull it out of the safe, but if you hunt in the close and fast type situation this gun will lead the pack.
A 44 Magnum is almost as big going in as a 30 cal is coming out, and they do mushroom to a substantial size, .75 cal.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Spike

what does everyone think of the benneli r-1 i have not heard any good things but some one told me its a gun to look at personally for the money i dont think its worth it

Quick Reply: semi auto for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.