Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

semi auto for deer

Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: semi auto for deer

ORIGINAL: creativemp
for me weight and reliabilty is the big issue
Then a semi is probably not what you need. For what you specified, bolt action mountain rifle is what you need.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an old Remington 742 in 30-06 and have taken a lot of deer with it. If you keep it clean, it will do the job every time. I can't remember the last time I had to take a second shot on a deer, but it is good to have that feature anyway.

I had a BAR in 7mm Remington, but never liked it that much. Too long and heavy. Where I hunt, you need something you can get on your shoulder quickly and make a fast shot a lot of the time.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:06 PM

I dont know much about the benelli or browning but i bought a 750 woodsmaster a few years ago in a 270. Oh it was a beautiful gun. yet if it worked half as well as it looked, then i would still have the gun. there was a problem with it jamming all the time. i was essentially reduced to a single shot. Yet, it was supposed to be new and improved. It handled wonderfully and it did shoot relatively good. I may have had one of the few that had problems, but then again im always getting guns with good reputations and as soon as i get them they go bad.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

I've done a lot of checking around and reading reviews....the R1 has won my vote I bought the all black Comfort-Tech30-06 with a 22" barrel. I'll be adding a pop up peep on it soon.That way I'll have a great standrifle or if I'm hitting the thick hemlock or bogs in northern NHor VT

Pop-up Peep Sight

Pop-up Peep Sight In The Hidden Position

Brockman's Pop-Up Peep Sight -The latest sight innovation from Brockman's. This sight allows you to have an instant Ghost Ring sight available as your back up sight system. This completely new sight is integrated into a custom Talley base. The sight compresses into the base as the scope is set onto the bases with Talley Q.D. rings. As the scope is removed, the sight springs upward to the proper height to allow use with a high combed stock. Just like all of our Ghost Ring sights, the pop-up peep is windage and elevation adjustable. Price includes front and rear base with integrated peep sight.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

I cannot personally comment on the 750 vs the BAR. What i can add is:

1. my browning auto 5 is very reliable
2. my browning BLR in 308 cycles very quickly & is a deer-killing machine. i prefer it over a BAR
3. my neighbor has used a 30-06 BAR for 23 years. he never had any cycling trouble until this past year

Also, as already mentioned, don't overlook the Ruger Deerfield in 44Mag. Mine is very reliable, and will hammer a deer/bear out to 150 yards. You may also want to look at a semi-auto shogun in 12 or 20 gauge with a rifled barrel.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:13 PM

ths78, tell them how the Deerfield handles, as well as how light and fast it preforms!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: creativemp
for me weight and reliabilty is the big issue
Then a semi is probably not what you need. For what you specified, bolt action mountain rifle is what you need.
I bought a remington 700 mt lss ,in 7-08 ,last summer ,its got a light barrel, which actually shoots pretty good, and a very nice scaled down stock. Whole rifle with scope weighs 7lbs. Doesnt kick much either. I didnt get to wack anything w/ it this year, but man that gun was a dream to carry. I did alot of still hunting and stalking ,in some pretty steep terrain, hardley noticed I was carrying it all day.

I pretty much stick w/ bolt guns these days , so much easier to sight in and clean.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

the deerfield handles very well...very reliable, lightweight, and carries well. it comes with a factory ghost ring, which is nice, but I have mine topped with a fixed 4x

can only shoot 44mag loads, not 44spl

deerfields will never go down in value, assuming you don't break it
Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Spike

thanks everybody so far it seem .308 browing is the liklly candidate
Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 PM

My favorite all time semi for deer is a Winchester 100 .308But it takes some tinkering to get it to work right. The very best deer rifle I own is a Browing bar carbine with wood stock in 06 shoots better than any gun has a right too ! But, it is a little bulky and heavy. I've never cleaned it in 20 yrs and it just keeps on working with 3 shot groups running 3/8 inch at 100 with about anything you put in it. I've killed about a 150 deer with it.

Quick Reply: semi auto for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.