Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 TC ProHunter Thumbhole Vs. Pistol Grip >

TC ProHunter Thumbhole Vs. Pistol Grip

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

TC ProHunter Thumbhole Vs. Pistol Grip

Old 12-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Spike

Default TC ProHunter Thumbhole Vs. Pistol Grip

I'm thinking about buying a Thompson Center Pro Hunter with a rifled slug barrel. What should I buy, a thumb- hole stock or a pistol grip? 20 gauge or 12 gauge?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TC ProHunter Thumbhole Vs. Pistol Grip

Even though they offer great fit, I wouldn't have thumbhole stock on an rifle with manually operated hammer. It proves to be extremely inconvient until you get real familiar with it, and even then takes more time to cock/uncock hammer. I think you'll be happier with pistol grip stock but BE SURE and handle both if possible before you decide. As to 12 gauge or 20 gauge, get the 1 you prefer and choose the phyical properties of the gun itself instead of gauge, as modern slug loads make them pretty much equal in power & accuracy.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the thumbhole stock for the Encore's. IMO you have better control of the rifle with the thumbhole stock. I also shoot a thumbhole stock more accurately-especialy from hunting positions. The thumhole design also helps you control the recoil and muzzle flip by alowing your hand to absorb part of it. Tom.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I really like the thumbhole stock for the Encore's. IMO you have better control of the rifle with the thumbhole stock. I also shoot a thumbhole stock more accurately-especialy from hunting positions. The thumhole design also helps you control the recoil and muzzle flip by alowing your hand to absorb part of it. Tom.

My PH is a pistol grip but my BILs is a thumbhole. I also have two buddies with TC Omega THs. I've shot these guns quite a bit and have come to like the THs.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Pro Hunter with the pistol grip stock and a Knight with a thumbhole. I feel due to the design of the TC pistol grip (which is extreme ) I think both give you a firm and secure grip, which is a benefit when an offhand shot presents itself.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

I just went through the same decision a while back and went with the pistol grip, just felt better to me. As far as the slug barrel, go with the 12. I don't have one for my Prohunter yet but I have a Winchester 1300 pump 12 gaugeshotgun with a rifled barrel that just loves the Hornady SST sabot slugs.