Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Ruger Blackhawk question >

Ruger Blackhawk question

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger Blackhawk question

Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ruger Blackhawk question

I have a ruger blackhawk in 44mag scoped looking to put a red dot on it for hunting.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my RSRH .44mag with a leupold 4X scope

Old 02-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

I have 6 personal 41magnum pistols and on rifle. I also have over 20 Ruger firearms. The 41 is in my opinion one of the most underrated cartridges out there. If you want some load data down the road e-mail me and I will be happy to help you out. You can't go wrong with a Ruger or a 41magnum!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

I have the 41 mag: in the ruger bisley 4 5/8" barrel set up in a cross draw holster excellent shooting firearm and great sidearm when hiking or 4x4 quading way back deep in the woods.I hunted with it and scored on a few deer
with in 50 yards shots :the deer all feel to the 41 Rem: Mag 210 grain soft point bullet
Old 02-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 41 Magnum is a great cartridge. But if you are buying factory loads then I would go with the 44 Magnum-strictly because the ammunition will be cheaper. If you reload then I believe the components will be easier to find. however if it is a 41 you want, then by all means go for it.

I would go with the S&W over the Ruger. I have a 329PD, and I believe it is the ultimate trail gun(picture below). The weight is barely over a pound, so carry weight is fantastic. With a heavy load the recoil is a bit stout, but I cast and load my own bullets, so I load them down a bit.

I have owned over a dozen Blackhawk's, including several short barreled one's. IMO the S&W will outshoot the Ruger's(hands down). Again this is my opinion, but I have shot over 100 different Smith's and Ruger's.

For a trail gun, carry weight is paramount. With this S&W you barely know the pistol is there. If you need it in a fast situation, then the double action is definitely an advantage.

The advantage's of the Ruger is less felt recoil(because of weight), and that cowboy feeling. But if you really want that cowboy feeling you will not buy a transfer bar Ruger, you would buy a Colt Single Action, or a S&W Schofield to start with.Tom.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:11 PM

While I can't say I am the worlds biggest .41 Mag fan, I would say I am a huge fan. And finally life has moved out of my way long enough for me to get one. I just ordered a 6.5" Blackhawk. My only question is according to the Greenhil Formula at a twist rate of 1:20, the "optimum" bullet would need to be 1.26" long. I can't even begin to think what it would weigh. What, if any, seems to be the "sweet spot" as far as bullet weight is concerned?
I will be reloading eventually. That is as soon as someone buys my 30-06 Model 70. The boss has no issues with me buying a handgun or any guin for that matter. BUT only after I sell the ones I don't shoot very often.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have owned one for over 20 years and have always handloaded my own ammo and I have found it to be very accurate and easy to shoot. I have taken a real nice Mule deer buck with it at 80 yards as well as an Antelope buck at 40 yards. I think you will find many who will say go with the .44 mag for various reasons, but I think you would be extreamly satisfied witht the Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag. I also owned the S&W model 57 in .41 mag and it was a delight to shoot as well...