Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Breaking in a new rifle? >

Breaking in a new rifle?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Breaking in a new rifle?

Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Breaking in a new rifle?

As always you are very kind to be so forthright with your knowledge and experience.
I like the idea of sliding in a spent round every once in a while to seeI am flinching.
As a rule I go by myself, but doesn't mean I can't get someone to go with me one daytoload therounds for me and watch my trigger squeeze.
Boy, you know what they say about opinions.....I also post onNorth American Hunting Cluband same thing there.......yes, no, definately, definately not, maybe, sometimes????
I'm going again this Saturday and will report back; hopefully this time with tighter groups (steady rest, control breathing, 3-5second max aimingtime with a steadysqueeze).
Thanks again
Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never used to "break in" barrels. Just cleaned them, went out and shot. Since reading about it, the last two rifles I've bought I used a break-in procedure. Both of those guns are two of the best shooting out-of-the-box rifles I've ever owned. Could be just happenstance, but I'm now pretty convinced it does work.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sheridan

As always you are very kind to be so forthright with your knowledge and experience.
I like the idea of sliding in a spent round every once in a while to see I am flinching.
As a rule I go by myself, but doesn't mean I can't get someone to go with me one day to load the rounds for me and watch my trigger squeeze.
Boy, you know what they say about opinions.....I also post on North American Hunting Club and same thing there.......yes, no, definately, definately not, maybe, sometimes????
I'm going again this Saturday and will report back; hopefully this time with tighter groups (steady rest, control breathing, 3-5 second max aiming time with a steady squeeze).
Thanks again

No matter what side of the issue you sit on... if you follow the subscription you have listed above, it will definately improve your shooting! Good luck.

One quick thing though to ponder... I notice you listed 3-5 second max aiming time.... I tend to take as long as I need to be good and comfortable. One way that I help archers cure target panic is with a kitchen timer. I make them come to full draw and hover their pin over the target... aiming the whole time. Some shooters I swear thing that they get charged a dollar a second to have the safety off, or to be at full draw. Place your finger on the trigger and just hold it on the target... you'll catch yourself everyone once in a while start to jump. Just keep your cool... taking your time will build your confidence.... give it a try.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Swampcollie,
Thank you for the vote of confidence.
By aiming time(I think "they" mean),notthe time it takes to "settle in",control your breathing and ready yourself, but the actual time that you concentratewith the crosshairson the bull(3 to 5 seconds on the exact point of aim) as youSQUEEZE.
Ialsolearned that I can see the crosshairs on the target with BOTH eyes open.
Every little bit helps, so thanks again.......
Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

What Bronko 22000 said!! Go to Dan Lilja'a web site. He is both a gunsmith and now better know for being a barrel maker. If you look through his site you'll see the break in process he recomends. It's time consuming but he doesn't make any money on reloading components so it must be the gospal. Most all barrel Manufactures recommend a "Break-in" Procedure. You'll probably find in most factory barrels it isn't worth the time. There pretty rough. In custom barrel I would follow their recommendation. Of course until you have a custom barrel chambered you'll have as much in the barrel as you have in most of the shelf hunting rifles.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sheridan

Swampcollie,
Thank you for the vote of confidence.
By aiming time(I think "they" mean),notthe time it takes to "settle in",control your breathing and ready yourself, but the actual time that you concentratewith the crosshairson the bull(3 to 5 seconds on the exact point of aim) as youSQUEEZE.
Ialsolearned that I can see the crosshairs on the target with BOTH eyes open.
Every little bit helps, so thanks again.......
I'm with you there.

Another thing that I found too was I tend to shoot better, and in retrospect get better groups, using a lower power setting on my scope. I typically hunt with my rifle left on about 5x... so thats what I dial it in with also. Been doing it that way for a few years now. Maybe my discipline has improved, who knows, but no doubt that it has helped a lot... perhpas I concentrate a bit harder. Go get em!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:47 AM

The Army Sniper school teaches break in, several other police sniper schools teach break in, and many manufacturers suggest breaking in the barrels. THESE ARE THE EXPERTS. same as the custom barrel guys...etc. Might just be food for thought.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only rules that I think should adhere to a new bore are clean it thoroughly before intial firing(make sure to remove any excess oil prior to firing) and watch your heat (shot groups of 3 or less if the ambient temperature is high).

The procedure or routines that insue with break ins vary greatly,so find one that works and go with it.

Personally I don't follow any setbreak in. I clean my bore at the end of each session, watch my heatby not firing staked groups (its not a race), my follow up groups come after the barrel returns to ambient (could be 10 mins could be longer just depends on theoutside temps)and never had a problem with accuracy or barrel life.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:19 PM
FA
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

The only rules that I think should adhere to a new bore are clean it thoroughly before intial firing(make sure to remove any excess oil prior to firing) and watch your heat (shot groups of 3 or less if the ambient temperature is high).

The procedure or routines that insue with break ins vary greatly,so find one that works and go with it.

Personally I don't follow any setbreak in. I clean my bore at the end of each session, watch my heatby not firing staked groups (its not a race), my follow up groups come after the barrel returns to ambient (could be 10 mins could be longer just depends on theoutside temps)and never had a problem with accuracy or barrel life.
I agree, the initial cleaning is the key for removing any debris in the barrel.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, either I am getting better and/or this 3 to 5 shots and then clean routine is starting to pay off.
I'm now putting one inch groups at 100 yards, two inch groups at 200 yards and three inch groups at 300 yards.
I think both a clean cool barrel (long break-in) and practice (and more practice)has made the difference.
I hope to startshooting incommon hunting position soon.
I would like to thank all of you for being so informative and supportive.
"Rookie Guy"

Quick Reply: Breaking in a new rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.