HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Breaking in a new rifle? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/231915-breaking-new-rifle.html)

Sheridan 02-11-2008 12:04 PM

Breaking in a new rifle?

Is there a "right" way to break in a new rifle barrel?

FA 02-11-2008 12:26 PM

RE: Breaking in a new rifle?

Clean the barrel before you shoot it, then about every 25 rounds or so, clean the barrel again. I would say around a rounds it should be starting to break-in.

Enjoy

okgobbler 02-11-2008 12:44 PM

Some will recommend to clean every shot for the 1st ten. then every 3rd shot for about 30 shots. then every 5th shot for a while. On my last barrel break in I cleaned it every shot for about 5-6 shots (sighting in), then I cleaned it every 3rd, when I was testing 3 shot groups of different loads. Seemed to work out ok for me, but can be quite tedious.

Rammer 02-11-2008 01:16 PM

I clean the bore thoroughly before I fire it for the first time. Then I don't clean it until the groups start to open up. This can be in 100rds or 1000rds. :D

JeffS 02-11-2008 02:26 PM

Clean it when you get the rifle then g out and shoot it and enjoy it. It is not nescessary to clean them every 3rd shot or anything if you are not doing benchrest competition.

Retaks 02-11-2008 02:35 PM

I dont break mine in any special way. I just clean it when i get it then whowever many rounds i shoot at the range i will clean it after that. My 300 WSM has 5 rouds through it and has been cleaned 3 times. My 204 Ruger has had anywhere from 3 rounds to 60+ rounds between cleaning. AS long as accuracy dosnt open up to much i dont worry about it.

maineac 02-11-2008 02:58 PM

Any one try the "Tubb final finish bullets"? From the looks in the catalog the bullets have different grits (for lack of a better term) to sooth out any impregections fromteh rifling process.

SwampCollie 02-11-2008 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: maineac

Any one try the "Tubb final finish bullets"? From the looks in the catalog the bullets have different grits (for lack of a better term) to sooth out any impregections fromteh rifling process.

Snake oil.

Benchrest shooters tend to be the biggest fans of breaking in a barrel. To be honest, I have tried everything from 1x5, 3x5, 5x3... to 1x15, 3x5, 1x3.... and even nothing at all.... I have never noticed accuracy get better in a rifle until I find a load that it likes.... that takes some time and some shooting. But in my experience, anything less than 100 rounds isn't going to do much unless you shoot it with a super hot barrel. I don't fool with breaking in barrels anymore. Ammunition is too expensive, my time is worth more than that to me, and I don't think it does anything except give you an excuse to shoot.

Rammer 02-11-2008 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: maineac

Snake oil.

Benchrest shooters tend to be the biggest fans of breaking in a barrel. To be honest, I have tried everything from 1x5, 3x5, 5x3... to 1x15, 3x5, 1x3.... and even nothing at all.... I have never noticed accuracy get better in a rifle until I find a load that it likes.... that takes some time and some shooting. But in my experience, anything less than 100 rounds isn't going to do much unless you shoot it with a super hot barrel. I don't fool with breaking in barrels anymore. Ammunition is too expensive, my time is worth more than that to me, and I don't think it does anything except give you an excuse to shoot.
I'm with ya all the way! These ammo/reloading prices have gotten nuts the last few years. I find myself doing alot less shooting than I have ever done.

Sheridan 02-11-2008 05:36 PM

"Breaking-in" a barrel is bull.......?
Sotry different (for me factory) ammountil you find anaccurate load??
What you are telling me is either you got a "shooter" or not???

One of you please reply with a short list of recommended factory loads(hopefully from past experience).
I have a Remington Model 700 SPS DM .243 Win 26" barrel.
I already had a trigger job done and the barrel lapped.