Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Handgun question

Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Handgun question

If you want a quality handgun the Kimber would top my list with the H&K a close second. A Taurus is no where close in workmanship, accuracy and bang for the buck. Every Kimber is a custom shop piece. Check out the Kimber CDP before you makeyour decision. Shoot a Taurusthenthe Kimber. The decision will be a no brainier. Your hand size isa deciding factor between the Kimber and H&K.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 AM

Hey Trapper,

I was in your shoes about 5 monts ago... This was my first handgun. I have been shoting my dads Kimber Warrior. its a great 45. After reaching and teasting firing Glocks, H&Ks, Kimbers, Spingfield 1911s and XDs. I choose the Spingfield XD45 4". The XDs are build great... They are simple, yet have some amazing features: touch based hocked and chamber indicatiors; 1911 style grip satfeey and now an option to get a thumb saftey as well.

It all depends on why you want the gun... I choose my XD for tactical reasons. this is my first handgun and is also my carry weapon. My next purchase will be a backup gun (1 is none, 2 is one, 3 is two)... maybe a Baby eage or 1911. Why are you buying this gun? Once you anser that question, Go out to a range that rents and take the time to put a serval rounds through each. You will quickly love one.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

If you want a quality handgun the Kimber would top my list with the H&K a close second. A Taurus is no where close in workmanship, accuracy and bang for the buck. Every Kimber is a custom shop piece. Check out the Kimber CDP before you makeyour decision. Shoot a Taurusthenthe Kimber. The decision will be a no brainier. Your hand size isa deciding factor between the Kimber and H&K.
Sniper, I bought a Kimber a couple of years ago. It was accurate but the fine quality control at Kimber mounted the wrong front sight on it and it shot about a foot low at 50 feet. They corrected that screw up but the gun never would make it through a full clip without jamming at least once...on factory 230 grs.

I sold that dog and got a Taurus PT-1911. It's as accurate as the Kimber, has twice the custom features, sells for less, is smooth as glass to operate and NEVER jams. Now tell me again how Kimber is a better deal.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 PM

Sig P220
Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Trapper - my suggestion is to read the consumber reports on the models you are interested in then go to the gun shop and handle them and see what fits you better and will suit your needs. Buying a handgun is a personal thing so do so wisely. I just purchased a Taurus PT1911 and I like it. It shoots good and functions flawlessly so far. But I also like my Steyr M40 40 S&W.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't overlook the H&K's. It's not a 45 but here's a picture of my USP 40. Best handgun I've ever owned.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:35 AM

I like the H&k and springfield arms. im not a big glock fan at all.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can have the best of both worlds with a para ordnance 1911 style pistol. I like steel guns-maybe I'm too old fashoned but how many plastic guns do you see handed down to future generations AFTER extensive shooting? With para ordnance you can have a solid steel,alloy frame,or any combo,all with the excellent SAFE LDA trigger system. They make single stack,double stack,conventional 1911 single action AND my personal favorite-the LDA trigger,which is the slickest,lightest double action trigger you'll EVER encounter.