Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun question,,,

Old 02-18-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Handgun question,,,

If you had only about $300-$400 to spend on a handgun to use as a daily carry service weapn what would you buy?

I have looked at a couple like the S&W Sigma .40 and the Ruger P95...Anyways just looks for thoughts and experiences as I start the looking process for a handgun. I have plans of getting my CCP soon.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Default RE: Handgun question,,,

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1993612

that has been a helpful topic for me.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:15 PM

Bad thing about Ruger's are that they tend to be really bulky and annoying to carry after awhile.......It has nice safety features though. My first choice would either be a Sig or H&K......alittle over that target price of course. Taurus 24/7 pros wouldnt be too bad to go with. Or the S&W M&P's are really nice......I'd be cautious with the sigma series I had alot of people trade them in cause they didnt like how it shot.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: battensp

Bad thing about Ruger's are that they tend to be really bulky and annoying to carry after awhile.......It has nice safety features though. My first choice would either be a Sig or H&K......alittle over that target price of course. Taurus 24/7 pros wouldnt be too bad to go with. Or the S&W M&P's are really nice......I'd be cautious with the sigma series I had alot of people trade them in cause they didnt like how it shot.
Yeah that's the bad part about Ruger.. Yeah I wouldn't mind a Glock 23 but wife has set a top end cap of $400 so I am pretty limited atm. ANy thoughts on a specific gun in that price range that you'd suggest?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Kahr CW9 or the CW40.........got both mine foraround the 400 area............380.00 and 415.00. Very nice and a good CCW....
Old 02-19-2007, 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Check out the Kahr CW9 or the CW40.........got both mine foraround the 400 area............380.00 and 415.00. Very nice and a good CCW....
Those only come in 6 rnd clips correct? If so how do you like that? Do they fel balanced considering their light weight?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Rugers and the Sigma are a bit large for concealed carry. The Sigma also isn't a highly regraded model. $400...maybe rather than compromising and buying a cheap model, save a bit more and buy a better model. If this is to be a gun to carry and possibly defend one's life with, why compromise on quality?
In keeping within a reasonable price range and have it beinga quality make/model, I'd suggest a CZ 2075 Rami.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maineshooter echos my thoughts:
rather than compromising and buying a cheap model, save a bit more and buy a better model. If this is to be a gun to carry and possibly defend one's life with, why compromise on quality?
Which exact 'brand and model'is a very subjective thing because there are so many variables like grip shape, size, safeties, mag capacity, and so forth.

$400 is a tough place to find the mainstream most proven handguns, unless you buy used and don't mind there being some wear on the finish, some scratches, having to replace springs, and stuff like that. Give all used guns a good checkout before buying if you can, especially revolvers. I have seen lots of used Glocks out there for under $500with the old style frame that did not have the light rail.

If you would really prefer a new gun, as I would, there are 2 options that jump out at me. Find a private guy that has an FFL license that is willing to sell to you at much closer to cost than a big store with lots of overhead would, or go smaller caliber, but keep quality (like a Kel Tek P32 orP3AT, NAA Gaurdian).

If you want a good new 9mm, 357, 40, or 45, I recommend spending more than $400. Sorry.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would look for a good used S&W Model 19. I wolud stay away from autos's. And I would definitely stay away from cheap autos. You might even find a good 66, or 27 at that price. Tom.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:16 PM

how about one of these.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/steoger8k_121106/

Quick Reply: Handgun question,,,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.