Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 .22 ammo...Is it all the same?? >

.22 ammo...Is it all the same??

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.22 ammo...Is it all the same??

Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 PM

Default RE: .22 ammo...Is it all the same??

The bulk stuff will give you a lot more jams, but they're not hard to clear and the money you save makes it worth your while IMO. Dirty magazines jam my gun more than anything, though, so I clean them a lot.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually I've had the worst luck with the Remington and some of the best with Winchester or Federal. In the 10/22's normally they all will fire with no problem though in my Ruger Mark II's the chamber seems to be tighter and sometimes the Remington don't want to feed and I have a lot of misfires. I don't have that problem with the Federals or Winchester. The one I have the most problem with is actually the CCI Stingers. They will not shoot at all in my pistol they will jam everytime.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:46 AM

I think everyone agrees Remington bulk .22 ammo is garbage. I won't even buy normal remington high velocity 22. But I would like to say I have had great results from Remington's Viper and Yellow Jacket bullets...their two hyper velocity .22s. In my accuracy tests with this ammo, they tied the best ammo I had. As for hunting performance, I found them second to none. Either of these is a wicked round for .22 LR.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:28 AM

The .22 bulk federal for me works well, no jams, very few duds, maybe one or two out of 550 rounds. Not very consistent though, the powder charge seems to vary and you'll notice one round may not be as loud and the point of impact will be lower.

The remington I haven't shot enough of yet, so far feeds reliably for me, but my model 60 marlin seems to shoot everything, still some consistency issues there though.

CCI minimag hollow points in my marlin 60 shoot very accurately, thats what I use on squirrels. I try to shoot only jacketed bullets, no wax coated lead bullets.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Federal has been great for me over the years. Destructo, I don't think there is such a thing as jacketed .22 ammo for sale. What you are calling "jacketed" is nothing but a very thin copper wash coated on the bullet...but it's all basically wax coated lead. Not that there is anything wrong with this. People have been shooting it by the ton for years with great results.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

Federal has been great for me over the years. Destructo, I don't think there is such a thing as jacketed .22 ammo for sale. What you are calling "jacketed" is nothing but a very thin copper wash coated on the bullet...but it's all basically wax coated lead. Not that there is anything wrong with this. People have been shooting it by the ton for years with great results.
When I say jacketed I just mean copper or brass plated instead of just lead, doesn't seem to gum up the barrel quite as bad, just a little less fouling in my opinion, but I have also shot plenty of plain lead .22 rounds with no problem also.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Host of Hosts

Most of my .22's shot Federal Gold Medal great
Old 02-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have tried several different loads in my own heavy barreled 10/22,and it prefers the remington target loads better than anything else.It jams often with wildcat loads.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

My CZ 452 loves CCI mini-mags but it shoots the bulk stuff good enough,the10-22 usually shoots everything pretty good.And NO is the answer to your question is all 22 ammo the same,every gun will have a favorite even two rifles exactly the same may shoot different with the exact same ammo,like night and day,so try several brands,bullit styles,bullit weights,standard and high velocity,you will find something that ruger loves,my 10-22 shots remington sub-sonics very well.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a custom Volquortsen barrel on my 77/22. Can't shoot just anything out of it... forget stingers or velocitors or any of that stuff.

I target shoot (meaning plink) with Rem Thunderbolts or Rem Vipers.

For hunting larger small game (like foxes and feral cats) I prefer to use the CCI SGB (small game bullet). For squirrel hunting in the quiet fall woods... I use CCI Long CBs, or Eley Subsonic Hollow points. Quiet and deadly.

The ammo is definately not all the same. Eley makes some of the best (quality control wise) in the world. Just about anything will be minute of milk jug at 50 yards.... but if you want to hit a dime at 50 everytime, you are going to have to do some homework.

Quick Reply: .22 ammo...Is it all the same??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.