Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Best conceal carry pistol for self defence. >

Best conceal carry pistol for self defence.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Best conceal carry pistol for self defence.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best conceal carry pistol for self defence.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only you can say or decidewhat is the best for you.What I like and/or can shoot, you might not be able to shoot itwell. Visa versa.One gun might fit me better then it does you.I prefer a semi auto but I've had years of experience with guns. For novist I would say a small framed revolver would probably be better suited for them.Try as many guns as you can. See which youfeels rightand take it from that. We can give you all the suggestions,tell you what we like. If it doesn't fit you or you can't shoot it accurately look for something that does.No there's no simple answer to your question. It's a hit and miss situation until you find the right one for you.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

my off duty carry weapon is a little Taurus Millenium 9mm, like others mentioned it's strictly for up close and personal not shooting contest. for home defense i keep a Glock 34 (9mm long slide) with a Stream Light TRL-1 tactical light, Crimson Trace pistol grip laser and a 3# trigger. foron dutyi carry a Glock 21 .45 with a TRL-1 tactical light.

get what you like but Glock's are simply the most reliable semi-automatic handguns out there, if they weren't, 90% of this countries law enforcement wouldn't carry them.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:22 PM

Behold the Ruger SR9!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Fl Still Hunter

What do You think the best compace carry pistol would be. I am looking for something with plenty of power, say 40 or 45 cal. A gun that is thin enough to be easily placed in Your waist band of bluegenes, good sights and erganomic grip and easily accesable controls. I already have a Ruger 454 and a Smith 44, but I want something that is a little more handy.
Thanks for any advice in advance.

Model, make and calaber. Your choice.
This is a little late but hopefully it's helpful if you decide you don't like that CZ. The best compact or concealed carry pistol would depend upon how you plan on concealing it and for what threats you plan on possibly having to use it for. I have a Walther PPK Stainless that I can fit in the front pocket of a pair of slacks and not have it print too bad through the material. It's only a .380 but is very accurate to at least 15 yards and has a manual safety (something you like to have when it's in your pocket with keys, etc.). Probably my favorite CCW/Off-duty carry gun for some time now is my Glock 23 which I can easily shoot up to 50 yards and is a 40.

If you're not at a dressy affair, a gun bag will allow you to carry most 1911 size pistols or revolvers and your choices are much broader. If you plan on carrying a pistol in an inside the pants holster, figure out what is comfortable for you. If you want to wear a paddle type or other belt holster, you can always hang a shirt tail or coat over it (many Detectives do just this).

As for caliber, I personally prefer a .40 over a 9mm for stopping power and terminal ballistics. People will make the same argument for the 45. Your choice of caliber and gun should include consideration of how far you think you might have to shoot, how concealable you need it to be, what type of clothes you can possibly wear (dressy, informal, etc.) and what caliber you think is the minimum for your personal life protection policy, i.e. the gun and caliber you're willing to bet your life on.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Swift Arrow

Behold the Ruger SR9!

I had the oppurtunity to handle a SR9 a few months ago. It was one of the best feeling handguns I have ever had in my hands. However before you buy one for self defense, you might want to read up on some of the problems(recall) this gun is/was having. I might buy one in the future but I'm going to let Ruger work the bugs out first.