Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

H&R Model 904 Revolver

Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default H&R Model 904 Revolver

I picked up this brand new leftover H&R Model 904 revolver at a gunshow because I was looking for something for .22 revolver plate shooting that offers more than 6 shots that wouldn't cost too much.
This revolver is a 9 shot and has a 6 inch heavy (bull) barrel with adjustable sights. I only had a little time to try it out last evening shooting Federal Bulk and it's a shooter!
The heavy barrel helps to keep it really steady while firing rapidly with it, which more than makes up for the double action trigger pull. The single action trigger pull is nice and extra light in comparison. The chambers aren't too tight which helped it to extract the high velocity ammo really easily. The grip frame also has a very wide profile which is comfortably designed for a smaller hand and trigger reach. Of course the trigger is not as good as on a S&W 617, but I sure plan on giving several of them a run for their money anyhow! The trigger is really not too bad at all and will only get better as it breaks in.
The rib helps to make sighting a little easier too because I like to hold the sight low at 6 o'clock on the plate while keeping the front sight high over the rear leaf for better visibility.
I didn't shoot for accuracy, just several cylinder fulls each of single and then double action off hand fun into a paper plate target at 30-35 feet. I raised the sight a few clicks and still need to find a very tiny screwdriver blade before making the windage adjustment.
I know one fellow who shoots a thinner barreled H&R Model 999 Sportsman break top .22 revolver against semi-auto's and can beat many of them.
H&R also made a 4 inch bull barrel in this 904 swing out configuration, so be on the look out for one of these models and consider buying it if it's in good shape!

Blue Book lists this model as being target grade and discontinued in 1985. So I'm feeling very fortunate to have found this particular gun available brand new.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: H&R Model 904 Revolver

Those old H & R revolvers are under rated. As long as they are tight,they'll usually shoot darn good.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Spike

Default 904 .22 lr

Hey i seen your post on the H&R 904 and I couldn't agree with you more. I own one myself and they are great guns to shoot, I have the 4 inch barrel you were talking about and it's basically brand new everything is in great condition. Have you had any real problems with them?
Old 12-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an H&R Model 999 "Sportsman" .22 cal 9 shot revolver that I inherited from my stepfather. I love this little revolver and it is definitely a shooter, very accurate.