Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Best Muzzle Break for a Brow A-bolt (270wsm) >

Best Muzzle Break for a Brow A-bolt (270wsm)

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Best Muzzle Break for a Brow A-bolt (270wsm)

Old 10-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Best Muzzle Break for a Brow A-bolt (270wsm)

Here's thedeal guys, I've got an A-bolt (270wsm) Stainless Stalker which is unbearable to shoot...I've shot several other rifles (270, 308, 30-06, 300wm) and this little demonbites like no other, probably due to the fact that it weighs less than 7 lbs. A buddy of mine recommended a KDF Muzzle Break and he said that should make it feel like a 25-06. I just wanted to know what you guys think? Any recommendations or experiences would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best Muzzle Break for a Brow A-bolt (270wsm)

I don't know if it is possible to get a Browning BOSS for it after market and have a compentant gunsmith put it on. Or you could contact Browning and see it you can send in the barreled action and have them install one for you.
It seems odd that your 270WSM is that rough recoil wise. My Micro Hunter in 325 WSM topped with a Burris Short Mag scope tips the scales at just a tad over 7 lb and although you know when it goes off, it isn't all that bad. You should be holding that rifle tight against your shoulder when you shoot. You can also get a gel pad for your shoulder for shooting at the range. Don't forget, when you are hunting you will have on several layers of clothing and a coat. And you, hopfully, will be shooting at game. You won't feel the recoil then with all the adreneline flowing through your system.
Before you go and install a MB on it take it out again.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the tips Bronko however everything that you have mentioned I have done. I have been an avid shooter for over 20 yrs and practice proper shooting fundamentals. I also realize that when hunting, you do get an adrenaliine dump as well auditory exclusion when the round goes off but I actually want to enjoy the rifle by shooting it more than just a couple of times at the range. I considered contacting Browning however I figured it would be cheaper to go the aftermarket route. Anyhow, thanks for the advice.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Garminator

Thanks for the tips Bronko however everything that you have mentioned I have done. I have been an avid shooter for over 20 yrs and practice proper shooting fundamentals. I also realize that when hunting, you do get an adrenaliine dump as well auditory exclusion when the round goes off but I actually want to enjoy the rifle by shooting it more than just a couple of times at the range. I considered contacting Browning however I figured it would be cheaper to go the aftermarket route. Anyhow, thanks for the advice.
I would recommend a break, the brand doesn't really matter, but have them thread it on so you can take it off when hunting with no ear protection and put it back on when at the range with ear protection.

I had Aquila Precison install one on my 7mm Mag, you could check them out.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks alot JK...what did that service/MB run you?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

According to all the advertising the wsm cartridges don't recoil as much as other cartridges.I guess we know the truth now.
Be aware that adding a muzzle brake can change the harmonics of the barrel which can effect both accuracy and point of impact.The BOSS system works on this principle.Because of this,you should do the final sight in with the brake removed.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Garminator

Thanks alot JK...what did that service/MB run you?
I don't really remember, I had him glass bed my stock, muzzle break (permanent), and KG Gun Kote the entire gun. I think it was a little over $300 if I remember close. His website is www.aquilafirearms.com . I am also using this smith www.kampfeldcustom.com to do my .243 AI build, and his work looks really nice.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could either tade for a model with boss for about the same as a installed muzzlebreak would cost or que industries offers a adjustable break licensed by browning that performs exactly like boss from www.brownells.com that is easily installed.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is more to a BOSS equipped rifle than the adjustable weight at the end of the barrel.As is explained in the link below,BOSS equipped rifles require a special bedding to work as designed.As such simply installing a BOSS or similar device on the barrel will not deliver the same effect without the special bedding.

http://home.earthlink.net/~hwsportsman/Greywolf1.html
Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

All great info..thanks alot guys, i'll get back and let you know what I went with.

Quick Reply: Best Muzzle Break for a Brow A-bolt (270wsm)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.