Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

9mm bear bullet?

Old 04-13-2007, 08:08 AM

Default RE: 9mm bear bullet?

Uncle Matt,
Dont you mean so he can come backa nd get 200 posts? He is at 99 already.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never seen a forum so full of nancies![8D]

I would stick with the Hydrashocks. I've used them on hogs before, and they worked pretty good. I would use it a lot more if I could shoot a pistol very well.

A couple weeks ago I came across a dangerous situation myself. I was walking along checking coon traps, and jumped a sow with 9 two day old piglets. When I jumped the sow, she was < 10 yards away. I stood my ground and defended myself with the gun I was carrying at the time. It was a Ruger 10/22. What you are using doesn't have to be much if you can make the shots count.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first bear attack fatality I had the misfortune to become familiar with was in the vicinity of Itasca State Park Mn; bear wounded with 22. Everyone had to round up us kids while rangers went out with the real "guns." They got him.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Perhaps I don't fully understand your post.Are you using a rifle to hunt with with the 9mm as a backup,or is the 9mm your only firearm?I personally would not set out to kill a bear with only a 9mm handgun.Are non expanding bullets even legal for big game hunting in your area?
Old 04-14-2007, 01:28 PM

i personally don't think a 9mm will do much more than make the bear madder. if it was me i would carry the biggest backup gun that i can. in my case i would take a 12 gauge and have it loaded with slugs.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Perhaps I don't fully understand your post.Are you using a rifle to hunt with with the 9mm as a backup,or is the 9mm your only firearm?I personally would not set out to kill a bear with only a 9mm handgun.Are non expanding bullets even legal for big game hunting in your area?
I'll be huntingwith a 30-06. I might be stupid, but Iain't dumb. At least not dumbenough to hunt bear with a 9mm. I'll carry the 9mm with 147 gr hydra-shoks, and use itas a last resort.I shot a bunch of hydra-shoks, some Corbon 125 gr +p and cheapo PMC 147 gr FMJ today. I liked the performace of the hydra-shoks. An interesting article I read notes that a particular brand of HP 45 auto expands to .70 and penetrated to about 14 inches in balistic gel. The same brand in 9mm expanded to .57 and went 11.5 inches. It's been a few days since I read the article, and my memory of the exact penetration may be off slightly, but I thought it was interesting. I can find it again and post it if anyone is interested.

After sharing my dilema with a buddy, hisanswer was to carry bear spray.Maybe so.

I appreciate the responses to my question. I won't be shooting the 9mm at a bear unless I'm out of 06 bullets and I've already broken my rifle over the bear's head. But, I do think I'll feel better having it with me. Like Uncle Matt so kindly and graphically suggested, at least I can put myself out of my misery if it comes down to that.

See ya in the woods.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Penetration is much better with the FMJ bullets because they do not expand. Expansion limits penetration in any caliber of rifle or handgun. Expansion limits penetration and causes the bullet to alter the straight path that is had been traveling. Thus also limiting penetration. With non expanding bullets the 45-70 will penetrate further at 1600 fps than the 460 Weatherby at 2700 fps. This because ven though there is little expansion, the bullet at high velocity will be deformed enough to alter its path.

Use which ever bullet you like but keep this in mind. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mudtutl

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I'll be huntingwith a 30-06. I might be stupid, but Iain't dumb. At least not dumbenough to hunt bear with a 9mm. I'll carry the 9mm with 147 gr hydra-shoks, and use itas a last resort.I shot a bunch of hydra-shoks, some Corbon 125 gr +p and cheapo PMC 147 gr FMJ today. I liked the performace of the hydra-shoks. An interesting article I read notes that a particular brand of HP 45 auto expands to .70 and penetrated to about 14 inches in balistic gel. The same brand in 9mm expanded to .57 and went 11.5 inches. It's been a few days since I read the article, and my memory of the exact penetration may be off slightly, but I thought it was interesting. I can find it again and post it if anyone is interested.

After sharing my dilema with a buddy, hisanswer was to carry bear spray.Maybe so.

I appreciate the responses to my question. I won't be shooting the 9mm at a bear unless I'm out of 06 bullets and I've already broken my rifle over the bear's head. But, I do think I'll feel better having it with me. Like Uncle Matt so kindly and graphically suggested, at least I can put myself out of my misery if it comes down to that.

See ya in the woods.
Think about the 9mm as a back up, Real Good.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Nice description Rebel. Funny how we forget things can go wrong until you see a picture. I dropped a bear at my feet once with my 41mag. I will tell you this I thought I was a brave man until then. 41mag bearminimum lol. Especially if they coming towards you and not running away.

You could load your 9mm with hard honey bullets and pray.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Cherokee_outfitters

Nice description Rebel. Funny how we forget things can go wrong until you see a picture. I dropped a bear at my feet once with my 41mag. I will tell you this I thought I was a brave man until then. 41mag bearminimum lol. Especially if they coming towards you and not running away.

You could load your 9mm with hard honey bullets and pray.
Absolutely + a little prayer for a lethal shot placement in the Mental & Fearconfusion of the moment!

Quick Reply: 9mm bear bullet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.