Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

9mm bear bullet?

Old 04-12-2007, 04:06 PM

Default RE: 9mm bear bullet?

I asked my dad what round he would recomend for a 9mm for bear protection and he said your best be would be to take the 9mm load it as full as you can get it with any ammo and leave it in the truck. By the time you get close enough to the bear to do damage to it its gonna be too close to you.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:41 PM

Some of you guys crack me up. I'm better off throwing rocks, or better yet leaving the 9mm in the truck. That's helpful, andfunny.

Thanks to thosewho offered up suggestions.FMJ vs. HP seems to be the issue left to consider. Maybe I'll just leave the 9mm at home and take my grandma's walking stick instead. Or even better, I'll just stay at home and play on the computer.Guess my sense of humor is out the windowtoday.....

Old 04-12-2007, 05:09 PM

Im sorry what we have said is bothering you. I know i didnt mean it in a bad way and im sure most of the others feel the same way. A 9mm is just not a great chioce for bear.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Im sorry what we have said is bothering you. I know i didnt mean it in a bad way and im sure most of the others feel the same way. A 9mm is just not a great chioce for bear.
It's cool. Like I already said earlier on this thread, I know the 9mm is not the preferred bear stopper, but it's all I got for now. Usually I appreciate the jesting, butthe question is actually a serious one: If your only choice is a 9mm, what's the best bullet? I'll get a hand cannon beforenext season.

Thanks.
Mud

Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 9mm will do nothing but make him more pissed off. If your going for bear with whatever weapon of your choosing, you should have full confidence not only in your equipment, but also yourself. If you injured a bear, what good is the 9mm? What makes you so sure you will be able to hit a bear in his vitals if GOD forbid he charges you? You and everyone will be scared. I'm not trying to be rude, but I've hunted bears numerous times in the past here in my home state and Canada, also I'm in Law Enforcement, why do you think almost all Law Enforcement agencys have done away with the 9mm? If it has problems stopping a person on herion, then it surely will have problems stopping a mad bear
Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 PM

Like i said before get the heaviest Jacked Soft Point of Lead Round Nose you can find. They seem to hit harder then a hollow point will.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

The 9mm will do nothing but make him more pissed off. If your going for bear with whatever weapon of your choosing, you should have full confidence not only in your equipment, but also yourself. If you injured a bear, what good is the 9mm? What makes you so sure you will be able to hit a bear in his vitals if GOD forbid he charges you? You and everyone will be scared. I'm not trying to be rude, but I've hunted bears numerous times in the past here in my home state and Canada, also I'm in Law Enforcement, why do you think almost all Law Enforcement agencys have done away with the 9mm? If it has problems stopping a person on herion, then it surely will have problems stopping a mad bear
Good points.If I pull it out it's most likely my last resort. I know how to use it. And again, I know the 9mm isn't preferred for this purpose, but since it's the biggest sidearm I have, I'm taking it along. Ijust wondered what some folks here could advise as for bullets.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats a good question. i rather have that 9mm with 17rds than nothing thats for sure. id say the hyrdashocks are a good choice. probably wont get good penetration...but they are going to do lots and lots of damage..the FMJ will penetrate better...ALOT better...but wont do the damage the hyrdashock will. id probably go with the hyrdashocks.

good luck on your bear hunt. make the shot count with the REAL weapon...you wont need to worry about a backup. be smart and be safe...a wounded bear aint nothin to shake a stick at...post pics when ya get back!!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

All right! All right! I call this forum to order!

Now let's go over a few things before I present Mr. mudtutl with my most important and critical piece of advice regarding his question.

In addressing Mr. Jake Biscuit ............ if you are somehow comparing a 9mm Luger round to a .357 magnum - it is not comparable other than the fact that they are both bullets. You may be seated Mr. Biscuit (Is that french? Biscuit? Bisquit? Interesting)

Mr. Mohr,Mr. Mohr! Do not sleep in my courtroom! Would you please stop counting sheep and approach the bench.

This court would also like to thank Mr. Mohr for his , as usual, excellent advice. But would also like to further recommend that Mr. mudtutl make a valid will, increase his life insuranceandgo to confession before heading out on this suicide mission. Certainly we all have a few things to get off our chests - even if it could wind up beinga bear chewing our beating heart out.

As to the choice of 9mm ammunition for your Glock, just about any commercially available ammunition will suffice for this dilema you foresee encountering. The recommendations made will work nicely.

There is one very, very important thing thatyou must remember Mr. mudtutl. If you were to forget all else - DO NOT FORGET THIS!

No matter how many rounds of this 9mm ammunition you manage to fire at this charging, attacking bear; be very, very sure that you do not fire your last round! You may want to even tape the weapon to your hand so that you will be assured that you will be able to use this last round toblow your brains out!

It will be much less painful and dignified than what the bear will do to you.

Oh the bear will kill you alright. And it's gonna hurt - ALOT I would guess. Feeling your bones snap as his HUGE jaws crush down on your arms, flailing in the air, firing errant shots as you try to fend the beast off. The smell of your own blood. The smell of the beast! The smell of his hot putrid breath. HUGE teeth snapping fingers off. His RAZOR SHARP CLAWS tearing over your ribs like Jimmi Hendrix's fingers on the guiter strings during a20 minute pot-induced
solo!POWERFUL jaws crushing your leg bones, tearing at your feet. Your boots pooling inside with blood. The sound inside your head as the teeth, those HUGE TEETH give you a scalping that wouldbring a smile to the face ofGeranimo!

Then once you stop moving one of two things will happen. Either the bear will bury you to rot so he can come back later and eat you (this is a bears prefered method of tenderizing). Or another bear will do it. They may even battle over or share your carcus, using your rib cage like a wishbone at Thansgiving dinner.

IMO: If there was even the most remote chance of this scenario playing out. If is was my lifeat stake. I would either NOT GO! Or go trade my Glock 17 in for a .44 Magnum (or similar) that can shoot BIG, HEAVY BULLETS. (There has to be something at the gun shop to trade for - something) Maybe a friend could loan ya something?

Disclaimer: Of course all of my reply is just in fun. We would love to have you back to at least make 100 posts. We don't want to read about you in some issue of Outdoor Life. I mean I don't think we need another Timothy Treadwell.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:45 AM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

All right! All right! I call this forum to order!

Now let's go over a few things before I present Mr. mudtutl with my most important and critical piece of advice regarding his question.

In addressing Mr. Jake Biscuit ............ if you are somehow comparing a 9mm Luger round to a .357 magnum - it is not comparable other than the fact that they are both bullets. You may be seated Mr. Biscuit (Is that french? Biscuit? Bisquit? Interesting)

Mr. Mohr,Mr. Mohr! Do not sleep in my courtroom! Would you please stop counting sheep and approach the bench.

This court would also like to thank Mr. Mohr for his , as usual, excellent advice. But would also like to further recommend that Mr. mudtutl make a valid will, increase his life insuranceandgo to confession before heading out on this suicide mission. Certainly we all have a few things to get off our chests - even if it could wind up beinga bear chewing our beating heart out.

As to the choice of 9mm ammunition for your Glock, just about any commercially available ammunition will suffice for this dilema you foresee encountering. The recommendations made will work nicely.

There is one very, very important thing thatyou must remember Mr. mudtutl. If you were to forget all else - DO NOT FORGET THIS!

No matter how many rounds of this 9mm ammunition you manage to fire at this charging, attacking bear; be very, very sure that you do not fire your last round! You may want to even tape the weapon to your hand so that you will be assured that you will be able to use this last round toblow your brains out!

It will be much less painful and dignified than what the bear will do to you.

Oh the bear will kill you alright. And it's gonna hurt - ALOT I would guess. Feeling your bones snap as his HUGE jaws crush down on your arms, flailing in the air, firing errant shots as you try to fend the beast off. The smell of your own blood. The smell of the beast! The smell of his hot putrid breath. HUGE teeth snapping fingers off. His RAZOR SHARP CLAWS tearing over your ribs like Jimmi Hendrix's fingers on the guiter strings during a20 minute pot-induced
solo!POWERFUL jaws crushing your leg bones, tearing at your feet. Your boots pooling inside with blood. The sound inside your head as the teeth, those HUGE TEETH give you a scalping that wouldbring a smile to the face ofGeranimo!

Then once you stop moving one of two things will happen. Either the bear will bury you to rot so he can come back later and eat you (this is a bears prefered method of tenderizing). Or another bear will do it. They may even battle over or share your carcus, using your rib cage like a wishbone at Thansgiving dinner.

IMO: If there was even the most remote chance of this scenario playing out. If is was my lifeat stake. I would either NOT GO! Or go trade my Glock 17 in for a .44 Magnum (or similar) that can shoot BIG, HEAVY BULLETS. (There has to be something at the gun shop to trade for - something) Maybe a friend could loan ya something?

Disclaimer: Of course all of my reply is just in fun. We would love to have you back to at least make 100 posts. We don't want to read about you in some issue of Outdoor Life. I mean I don't think we need another Timothy Treadwell.
Now THAT'S funny!

Quick Reply: 9mm bear bullet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.