Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Gun Safes

Old 03-03-2007, 10:39 PM

Default RE: Gun Safes

In my opinion, much about the Fort Knox safes is nothing more than marketing.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:32 AM

Besides the lable, buy one that is much bigger than you need right now. It seems it does not matter how big of one you buy, they always fill up.

http://www.libertysafe.com/safegallery.lasso

You will be surprised at how much stuff you will want in there and a Bow will take up 6-8 guns' worth of room, atleast.

Doug
Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 AM

I've heard some pretty good things about Cannon Safe's. I'm looking at the Cannon series of their safes right now. They're supposed to have an incredible lifetime warranty - if it's ever damaged due to fire, flood, burglary, they'll fix it for free. Anyone know of any negatives in their line?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

I found out one could go from a glorified filing cabinet all the way up to a DEFCON 5 level, with a million and a ½ choices in between. It can become incredibly confusing in a real hurry.
FC
Any 3 tumbler combination lock has 1 million possible combinations!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

In my opinion, much about the Fort Knox safes is nothing more than marketing.
I am curious about the basis for this statement. I looked at alot of safes before I bought my Heritage, and I didn't see anything wrong with Ft Knox safes. I almost bought one, but I found a deal on a Heritage "demo".
Old 03-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: st8tman

Rebel Hog,
Based on your experience, what is your opinion of the Titan series of safes from Fort Knox. I in no way claim to be an expert on this subject, but did try to do some informative reading and research before making my decision. My safe was a generous gift from my in-laws, who insisted due to my 4 year old in the house. Honest opinions appreciated....no hard feelings regardless. Thank You for Your Time.
st8t, the Titan is a good safe for the home owner.

1. Ithas Sargent & Greeleaf II Manipulation Resistant Combo Lock with internal relocker...........Excellent

2. Door is 1-1/8"plate and protected at drill points, but the other 5 sides are 3/16"reinforced plate..............Door Very Good.............5 sides Fair

3.Is geardriven forbolt retraction and extension...........Multi-gear drive, 5 to 1 reduction rack & pinion multi-gear drive locking mechanism........Excellent

4.Hasbolt attackrelocking system........Excellent

5.Has 20-1-1/2" bolts.........Very Good

6. Has Drill & Tool attackGuard on Lock Bolt...........Excellent

7. Has Drill stop hard plate with recessed multi-bearings.......Excellent

8. Has Ball Bearing hinges.....................Excellent

9. Fire Rating is 1680*-1-1/2 Hrs with interior maintained at 350*........VeryGood

st8t, the best Safe is TRTLTX 60X6.........TR (torch)...TL (tool)...TX (explosives)...60(resistant for 1 hr)...X6 (on6 sides).. These are usually Jewlers Diamond Safes and run in the range of $6,000-$8,000. When safemen speak of safes, they consider Mosler and Diebold. These are the ones used by Banks, FBI and Post Offices and Goverment agencies..File Cabinets are called GSA Containersmade especially for the goverment and Mosler or Diebold manipulation proofcombination locks. These File cabinets are protected by Mosler (Relsom Plate) or Diebold ( Infusite Plate).
Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM

My biggest fear regarding a gun safeis its ability to withstand a fire. I have 2 friends who owned safes (one a $2500 Browning and the other a $1750 Cannon) and hadhouse fires. Both lost everything in their safe - as it got so hot the contents caught fire.We live in the country, so the fire dept. took some time to arrive. Both houses were a total loss, as were all the contents. One guy told me the fire chief told him that no safe can withstand a complete house fire. I believe a good safe offers all the protection needed regarding theft, but few, if any, offer complete fire protection. I'd say that fire rating would be the determining factor if one were looking for a safe. ymmv.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:19 PM

Rebel Hog,
I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my inquiry. From a novice point of view I agree fully the Titan series Ft. Knoxx is a very good "home-gun safe" My employment requires me to deal with one of those GSA file cabinets on a daily basis. While I in no way could recite the facts as you have, I will say without a doubt these GSA cabinets are VERY VERY secure! Sometimes so secure they can be a real pain in the as)! My new Titan is scheduled for delivery next Monday, and I must say I am certainly looking forward to getting it. As a LEO for 20 years I can say without a doubt........while there are individuals capable of defeating a secure home safe....these individuals are few and far between. The threat of fire scares me much more than some yahoos ability to invade my possessions. Thanks again for your time and expertise.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Rebel Hog,
I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my inquiry. From a novice point of view I agree fully the Titan series Ft. Knoxx is a very good "home-gun safe" My employment requires me to deal with one of those GSA file cabinets on a daily basis. While I in no way could recite the facts as you have, I will say without a doubt these GSA cabinets are VERY VERY secure! Sometimes so secure they can be a real pain in the as)! My new Titan is scheduled for delivery next Monday, and I must say I am certainly looking forward to getting it. As a LEO for 20 years I can say without a doubt........while there are individuals capable of defeating a secure home safe....these individuals are few and far between. The threat of fire scares me much more than some yahoos ability to invade my possessions. Thanks again for your time and expertise.

Fire Ratings
[ul][*]Impact test - The UL impact test calls for the safe to be heated to 1550 degrees for 30 minutes (1638 degrees for a 2-hour fire rated safe) then dropped onto concrete rubble from a height of 30 feet. The safe is then turned upside down and reheated for another 30 minutes (45 minutes for a 2-hour fire rated safe). During this process, it must maintain its integrity and protect all contents in order to pass the UL impact test.[/ul]

2 hr+ — UL class 350. Protects valuables for up to 2 hours with outside
temperature of 1850 degrees, plus survived drop test onto rubble from 30 feet.

Class 350 2-hour fire rating - The safe is heated for two hours to reach an exterior temperature of 1550 degrees and must maintain an interior temperature of less than 350 degrees to earn this rating. Class 350 2-hour rating and impact label - The safe has passed both UL impact testing and Class 350 2-hour fire testing

Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

As a LEO for 20 years I can say without a doubt........while there are individuals capable of defeating a secure home safe....these individuals are few and far between.
I'm retired from the Sheriff Dept. as supervisor for 15yrshere in Tampa as a Safe & Vault, Prison Locks and all locking devices, 3 jails and 7,000 inmates.I assisted the OCB in all safe openings, 24-7

Iowned and operated a Lock business and covered all, Banks, Commercial,Residential andAutomotive for 15 yrs andthen was hired by the Sheriff Dept..

while there are individuals capable of defeating a secure home safe....these individuals are few and far between.
You would be surprised how much the younger generation knows about the workings of a safe. That's why I mentioned about buying a safe by it's Label and not Looks and Price. It's always a good idea of incorporating theexisting Alarm System in your home to your safeif you havean Alarm System.

Never place your Safe by Windows, Entrance Doors or Exit Doors. If placed in basements, have a good Dehumidifier working at all times. Be careful with placing Camera's in safe's cause of humidity.

Quick Reply: Gun Safes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.