Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

First Centerfire

Old 02-27-2007, 10:21 AM

Default First Centerfire

Hey guys, I'm looking to get my first centerfire rifle with my tax refund. I'm looking at the Stevens 200 in .308 Win. In Indiana I can't hunt with a rifle for deer, so it would mostly be just a new toy. Eventually I would like to move up north where I can use it for deer and possibly take a trip or two out west for elk. Is this a good set up? Should I get it in 30-06 instead? I decided on the .308 because I can get ammo cheaper for it. If you have any other ideas, I need to keep the price under $400, closer to $300 if possible.

Also, because I have no experience with the centerfires, how does the recoil of the two cartridges compare to the 12 guage?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:38 AM

Default RE: First Centerfire

if you want to hunt both deer and elk then the .30-06 would be an excellent choice.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Greetings. I'm glad to see yourlittle burgsurvivedmy 4 year stintacross the rivermany years ago.

Start by reading this: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2015336

and then all8 pages of this: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1856380.

You'll find you're on the right track. You're also about to get hundreds of thousands of replies from zealous defenders of 1 cartridge or another, as well as every model of rifle ever produced: be prepared to take them all with a grain o' salt. The .308 & .30-06 will comfortably do what you'd like to do, as will several others. And the Stevens 200, despite its low price and blue collar pedigree, will put the bullets awfully close to where you want them to go.

In your price range, you may do well to take a look at Howa rifles, too, since you'dget a better trigger & stock. And please, PLEASE, make room in your budget for at least $100 worth of scope: you'll never hit what you can't see.

Good Luck,

FC
Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 PM

Thanks FC. I guess what I'm really asking is: "I'm not shooting myself in the foot with this set-up, am I?"

BTW, I'm at Purdue and I'm surprised it's survived me....
Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes. You are shooting yourself in the foot. By getting a .308 or .30-06 now, you reduce your overall n eed for additional rifles in the future. Get a .243now for use on coyotes and deer. Then get a .308 later if you want something for deer and elk. Then get a .338 when you want something for elk and bear. Bingo. Three rifles. You can never have too many...

Seriously,either .308 or .30-06 will work fine for the uses you have stated.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:58 PM

Going to go with F.C. on this. The 200 is a good gun for its price. I have little experience with howas so i really cant tell you one way or another. The 308 and the 3006 will do virtually the same thing so its kind of up to you.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Spike

I just bought a Stevens 200 at the Lafayette Sportsman's Warehouse about a month ago. They offered to mount and boresight a scope for free, so I ordered a Nikon Monarch on clearance and took it in yesterday. They've raised their prices on all guns since I bought mine. I got the Stevens for $259, and now they're $289. It's still agood dealthough. Same thing asa Savage, but minus the accutrigger. Theyare dealers for Howa too, but don't have many in stock. Actually, they were running pretty low on Stevens 200's yesterday too, so they must be pretty popular.I was in a similar situation to you and decided on either a Howa or Stevens after a lot of time spent reading on the internet. One more thing to consider... IndianaDNR is probably going to allow riflesfor deer hunting next season. The catch is that it must be chambered for a cartridge with a case length of no more than 1.625". That means handgun cartridges. The 500 S&W Magnum has a case length of exactly 1.625", so it's the biggest handgun cartridge allowed under the proposed rule. Sportsman's Warehouse carries a single shot Handi-Rifle in 500 S&W, so if you wanted to buy a rifle that could be used for deer hunting, there you go... As a bonus, the Handi-Rifle is supposed to be pretty accurate, and I think they're under $250. If I hunted deer with a gun, I'd look seriously into that. Actually, if I had money and hunted deer with a gun, I'd call Hornady or someone and see how expensive it would be to come up with a cartridge based on the 500 S&W necked down to accept smaller diameter bullets. Bullets for the 500 aren't that aerodynamically efficient, so they're only going to be good for 150, maybe 200 yards. A smaller diameter, more streamlined bullet with a higher B.C. could open things up a little. If you wanted to hunt deer with a gun and didn'tneed to shoot over about 75 yards, there's a lever actionMarlinin 44 Mag. Acompany calledRossi(sp?) makes a lever action 454 Casull that might be good for a little over 100 yards. I don't thinkeither of those would be an improvement over a slug gun though, unless you justwanted something with a little less recoil.

You should really just go to Sportsman's Warehouse. Look around, ask questions, and they'll get you set up with something you'll surely enjoy. It's on Creasy Lane, just off 26 out by the interstate. I don't know how familiar you are with the area, since you said you go to Purdue. I also came to the area to go to Purdue, but layed out for a couple years. I'm going back in the fall but that's beside the point.If you need better directions, or have any other questions, let me know.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Wow, just a few posts here, but some EXCELLENT advise.

I have no idea of the regs where you live, but if what Jason has stated is true, I agree, you should seriously consider a NEF Handi Rifle. There is a TON of info on Graybeardoutdoors.com on the Handi. Most Handis are excellent shooters with just a slight amount of tweaking and understanding. All the info is on Graybeards and if you enjoy tinkering, that alone is a lot of fun. I had never owned one prior to the 223 Heavy Barrel I bought a few months ago. I did the trigger on it and it is now awesome at 3 lbs.

If that is not appealing to you, I agree with the Stevens and if you can squeak a little more into the budget, get the Savage for the Accutrigger.

No matter what you get, I highly recommend a Nikon Prostaff or Burris FFII. Both of these scopes are great and a terrific value.

Oh, and unless you are pretty sensitive to recoil, don't worry about the .308 or 06. Just use a little extra padding when you are target shooting as well as good hearing protection. I just use a folded up kitchen towel when I shoot.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:37 AM

Jason, I will probably get it from sportsmans as that is where I tried it. (I grew up in Lafayette, so I know where most places are.) I want a bolt action right now, mostly just 'cause.

Recoil doesn't bother me too much. I can handle 12 guage slugs, I was just curious because I have no experience with centerfires.

Thanks guys, now, if only the government would give me my refund...
Old 03-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: First Center fire

270, 280' 308, 30-06 7mm-08. Any of these would work well. If you can hack a little more recoil, the 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag would also fill the bill. I would suggest that you try to fire some of the Magnum rifles before you lay out the money. You may find that you get no shooting enjoyment from the hard kickers. I shoot for fun not for punishment but thats just one mans opinion.

Quick Reply: First Centerfire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.