Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 girl needs help finding a gun >

girl needs help finding a gun

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

girl needs help finding a gun

Old 02-22-2007, 11:09 PM

Default girl needs help finding a gun

hey im new to this site. my boyfriend took me hunting for the first time this year and i shot a big doe with his 270! i love hunting now! but i want to find a gun of my own and i dont know if i should get another 270 or something else. i liked the 270 alot but i want something that i can get more distance and that wont make me knock a tooth out or something. i would love some help on this. thanks kendo
Old 02-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: girl needs help finding a gun

ORIGINAL: kendo

hey im new to this site. my boyfriend took me hunting for the first time this year and i shot a big doe with his 270! i love hunting now! but i want to find a gun of my own and i dont know if i should get another 270 or something else. i liked the 270 alot but i want something that i can get more distance and that wont make me knock a tooth out or something. i would love some help on this. thanks kendo
I would go withthe .270, but if you want more distance, go with a 7mm mag.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:08 AM

7mm Rem Mag, .280, .270, 30-06, 25-06 (unless you want to shoot elk at longer ranges). Take your pick. But if you just started shooting, chances are the .270 will still shoot farther and more accurately than you are currently capable of shooting. Just something to keep in mind. Not saying you're a bad shooter- just saying you may want to practice before worrying about getting a long range rifle. Also, getting as close as you can is a lot more fun than shooting at a speck for most people.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

If you had success with the .270 I would stick with it. If you felt the recoil was uncomfortable you could go with a 25-06, 7mm-08 or even a 30-30. Weatherby makes a Vanguard Compact riflewhich isgreat for women and young shooters. In any case welcome to the world of hunting.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:02 AM

I would look at the .308.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

You said you enjoyed the 270 win but how would you feel if the recoil was increased by 40%? Thats what you can expect from a 7mm rem mag in a comparable rifle! While the 7mm rem mag will shoot alittle flatter, it's real gain is in bullet selection for other then deer sized game.If deer or similar size gameare your primary concern I say stick with the 270, plenty flat enough to take deer at distances beyond mostshooters abilities.

Good Luck and Welcome
Old 02-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

You're not going to get "more distance" from anything without paying a pretty hefty recoil penalty. If you want a little less recoil, take a look at the .243, .260, or 7mm-08. They're all good to at least 300 yards on deer (a little farther for the .260 and 7mm), and that probably covers about 95% of the deer hunting situations you'll face in the U.S.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kendo...Congrats on your first deer..!!...

Some good advice has been offered here...A .270 is capable of making clean kills on deer sized gamefurther than many hunters should responsibly be shooting..

If you like your boyfriend's .270, I'd say go ahead and get your own ...You could share ammo and trust me, it will kill a deer as far as you'll ever need to shoot at one...
Old 02-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pygmy

Some good advice has been offered here...A .270 is capable of making clean kills on deer sized gamefurther than many hunters should responsibly be shooting..
I have taken White Tail's and Mulies with .270 130gr/NP and 150gr/NP. I have also taken Moose with Ruger 6.5mmSwede 156gr Norma "Alaska" ammo.

I would not hesitate taking all of the above with 6.5mmSwede/Norma ammo.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kendo

... i liked the 270 alot but i want something that i can get more distance and that wont make me knock a tooth out or something.
It sounds like you've already found the sweet spot on the curve. To get any flatter shooting, you're going to paymuch more in recoil than you'll gain in trajectory, or even whitetail killing power.

On the other hand, if you step down into the 7mm-08, .260, 6.5x55, or 25-06, you'll lessen recoil while maintaining a reasonably flat shooting gun to most sane distances. However, those aren't necessarily calibers that can gracefully bridge you intomoose/elk sized game, should you ever choose to hunt those. The .270, however, has been used quite successfully for decadesto harvestboth classes of critters.

Of course, staying with the .270 will also allow you share ammo with your boyfriend, to find ammo anywhere in the country,to keep ammo costs to reasonable levels, and to have one of the widest choices of rifles imaginable. There's a reason thatJack O'Connor, oneof the most respectedgun writers of all time, was a huge fanof the .270.

So, now that you've found a cartridge, go out and handle dozens of rifles & see which one fits you best. Chances are, they'll have a .270 in stock!

Good Luck,

FC

Quick Reply: girl needs help finding a gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.