HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - girl needs help finding a gun
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Folically Challenged
Fork Horn

Default RE: girl needs help finding a gun

ORIGINAL: kendo

... i liked the 270 alot but i want something that i can get more distance and that wont make me knock a tooth out or something.
It sounds like you've already found the sweet spot on the curve. To get any flatter shooting, you're going to paymuch more in recoil than you'll gain in trajectory, or even whitetail killing power.

On the other hand, if you step down into the 7mm-08, .260, 6.5x55, or 25-06, you'll lessen recoil while maintaining a reasonably flat shooting gun to most sane distances. However, those aren't necessarily calibers that can gracefully bridge you intomoose/elk sized game, should you ever choose to hunt those. The .270, however, has been used quite successfully for decadesto harvestboth classes of critters.

Of course, staying with the .270 will also allow you share ammo with your boyfriend, to find ammo anywhere in the country,to keep ammo costs to reasonable levels, and to have one of the widest choices of rifles imaginable. There's a reason thatJack O'Connor, oneof the most respectedgun writers of all time, was a huge fanof the .270.

So, now that you've found a cartridge, go out and handle dozens of rifles & see which one fits you best. Chances are, they'll have a .270 in stock!

Good Luck,

FC