Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Another Savage 17HMR review.... >

Another Savage 17HMR review....

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Another Savage 17HMR review....

Old 02-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another Savage 17HMR review....

Very nice shooting gun! I finally got to shoot mine today and with a small breeze and a 1.75x5 Bushnell Trophy scope the gun still put 5 under an inch at 100. The group wasnt as good as 358's but it was very nice for the first time I shot it. This was with the CCI ammo. Gonna get a stronger scope (heck I didnt reallize the range of the 17's LOL) and some Remington and Hornady ammo and try again. The thing I loved the most was the 4 inch offhanded groups at 50 yards. Thats smoking for me..lol.

This is a VERY nice shooting gun for the price. Mine has the accu-trigger, bull barrel and walnut stock. The main reason I bought it was to try and get rid of some flinch while shooting offhanded. It is already working for that. The really good thing is it has the same dimensions as the regular Savage rifles....sooo when I get proficient offhanded with this thing then I can buy another gun...I been wanting a 114 Savage for a while now.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:19 PM

Default RE: Another Savage 17HMR review....

DoeDumper-

I shot the 17 grain remingtons as well as the 20 grain Hornady XTP HP's.
Both shot very well. The group I posted was the 20 grainers. I'm leaning towards the heavier bullet because fox and head shots on 'yotes are the game hear. I also figured that the heavier bullet would be a bit more stable if there was a stiff breeze.
Crows are easily dumped with the 17 grainer. Set up an owl decoy and use a crow call. The 17 makes for a fun crow shoot!
My savage 93 is heavy barrel also and has the accutrigger. It required no modifications to shoot well. I here the savages shoot very well, but I think I got a good one off the rack!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:56 PM

Yeah that 17HMR aint a punk thats for sure.......2550fps Rimfire.......you'll get some good range with that. Enjoy
Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 AM

My 17 has the most expensive scope I own on it. A $400 dollar 20X varmint scope. It shoots that good!

Mine likes the hornaday ammo so far. I have not tried any of the 20 grn stuff yet.

Paul
Old 02-22-2007, 07:50 AM

Paul-
How does your .17 do with the Hornady 17 grain bullets at distances of 100 yds or more?
I have a 3x12x40 BSA sweet 17 on mine.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:18 PM

I average 1 inch groups out to about 120 yards if the wind is really calm. These little bullets don't care much for the wind do they. I'll be honest I don't get to shoot it very often though. I have less than 500 rounds through my gun to date so it's not even really broken in yet in my eyes.

The groups would be even better if it were not for the one flyer every now and then that seems to be so common with these guns. I guess it's something you have to live with when shooting mass produced rimfire ammo.

You will hear me quote quite often when talking about the .17 or differences between it and the .22 that I shot a very impressive group with it when testing some ammo. I was testing a bunch of different .22 ammo for accuracy and drop at different ranges. I shot at 50, 75 and 100 yards. I shot 3 shot groups with each ammo at each distance and recorded the group size and drop at yardarge.

Just for the heck of it I decided to shoot the 17 along side with the .22's. On a still summer day I shot all nine rounds ( 3 at each distance) into a hole a dime would cover. Now that's flat and accurate! I don't own a .22 rimfire anymore.

This was with the Hornady 17 grn v-max ammo. Mine likes it a bit better than the CCI tnt stuff. I haven't tried the remington or federals yet.

Incase you are wondering I have a Cabela's Alaskan Guide series varmint scope in 6.5-20x44 with A/O and mildot reticle.

If I ever get a centerfire I will propably take it off and put it on that though. I may get a mueller for the 17 if I do that.

Paul
Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey all justpu for a savage 17, walnut/varmit barrel/AT/LH came with a trashco varmit 2.5x10x42 AO. Seems like a great rig,one reasonI bought was to try and get use to the AT. I have one on my 10II ML and had a bit of trouble getting use to it, figured a plinker such as the HMR would be a good way and the investment was a trade of a gun I no longer use...seemed like a no brainer.

Picked up the hornady 20gr XTP and 17gr polymer tip federals for the first go around. Question though the guy at the shop said you need to break in the barrel. Did any of you do a barrel break in? If so what regiment?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:47 PM

I just started shooting it. I would clean it first though to get the crap out of the barrel it is shipped with.

Mine shot MOA right out of the box with the first box of ammo.

Paul
Old 02-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter I didnt touch mine...just took it and started shooting it. I got enough high maintenance pieces ...lol. The 17 was strictly for fun. It will do moa pretty easily as well....with a 1.75x5 Bushnell Trophy... I have shot the cci's and the hornady 17 grainers botht hru it with about the same groups.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks. I looked at him with a bent brow but thought I'd ask here JIC.

Paul I just finished degreasing the bore but it was pretty slight compared to other savages. At the same time did a quick bore sight.

Doedumper, hear yeah and agreed.

Quick Reply: Another Savage 17HMR review....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.