HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another Savage 17HMR review....
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Another Savage 17HMR review....

I average 1 inch groups out to about 120 yards if the wind is really calm. These little bullets don't care much for the wind do they. I'll be honest I don't get to shoot it very often though. I have less than 500 rounds through my gun to date so it's not even really broken in yet in my eyes.

The groups would be even better if it were not for the one flyer every now and then that seems to be so common with these guns. I guess it's something you have to live with when shooting mass produced rimfire ammo.

You will hear me quote quite often when talking about the .17 or differences between it and the .22 that I shot a very impressive group with it when testing some ammo. I was testing a bunch of different .22 ammo for accuracy and drop at different ranges. I shot at 50, 75 and 100 yards. I shot 3 shot groups with each ammo at each distance and recorded the group size and drop at yardarge.

Just for the heck of it I decided to shoot the 17 along side with the .22's. On a still summer day I shot all nine rounds ( 3 at each distance) into a hole a dime would cover. Now that's flat and accurate! I don't own a .22 rimfire anymore.

This was with the Hornady 17 grn v-max ammo. Mine likes it a bit better than the CCI tnt stuff. I haven't tried the remington or federals yet.

Incase you are wondering I have a Cabela's Alaskan Guide series varmint scope in 6.5-20x44 with A/O and mildot reticle.

If I ever get a centerfire I will propably take it off and put it on that though. I may get a mueller for the 17 if I do that.

Paul