Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

243 new respect

Old 01-20-2007, 01:08 AM

Default RE: 243 new respect

ORIGINAL: SHoNUFF

You owned a tool for that long and never read up on it?
I know rite. Its always been there but there where other guns 30-30 (my fav), 300wsm, 270, 8mm, 7mm, 223, 222, and others that i would grab to use first. Just never crossed my mind.
So you had a 8cartridges in front of youand 1had a bullet a hair larger thanyour 223 and a case closer to sizeto your wsm and it "Just never crossed your mind" ???

hmm

I see.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:51 PM

the 223 is AR-15. And the .222 just dont get used either. Hard to find ammo for it round here less they special order it. I usually grab my 30-30 incase i choose to stalk. or my 300wsm for the stand. I will walk with it but when i hit the thick brush i would rather have the short 30-30. Why is it so hard to beleave there is a gun in my cabnet never used before, other than sighting in. I have 2 others that i have NEVER shot not one time. They were given to me by my Dad and have never been been fired by me. They get the annual cleaning and thats it, back in the safe they go.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .243 would be great for granny biscuit. The triple deuce is an awesome little cartridge. I am sorry to see it decline in popularity.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:20 PM

Why is it so hard to beleave there is a gun in my cabnet never used before, other than sighting in. I have 2 others that i have NEVER shot not one time.
I have no problem accepting that you own "mostly unused" rifles. I also own "stored" Firearms. I just can't believe that your Dad gave you something and you didnt even appreciate it enough to learn about it.[:'(]
Old 01-21-2007, 05:57 PM

As stated before, and I KNOW I am not the only one on these forums that thought this. The 243 was thought to be a 100-150 yard gun. I have read it with my own eyes and seen it more than once in numerous postings. Hell you might have been one, start a new account now tryin to act the part of a bullet/ballistics master. for 100-150 yards i would rather carry my 30-30, still do. But i fell more confident now about useing the short barrel smooth action of the M77 for longer shots. I dont reload and noone i know locally reloads, so fixing up a Hot/special load just isnt in the cards.

Oh, and on my old man; he buys guns from people all the time. For him to give me a gun is NOTHING out of the ordinary, and for me to sight them in and store them never to touch again is not out of the question.

NEwho im dont with this one, what started as a intell type post somehow turned into a flame war by some of the lessers of the forums (ie. Pighunter and Cryptic Gypsy). And also one reason I stopped droppin in so much in the first place.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:45 PM

I am not attempting to put you down. I know hunters that have killed deer with a 17 Remington. My great uncle has had a 222 since 1953. I have never underestimated any centerfire in my entire life. When I was 10 I received a Colt AR chambered in 9mm. I used to shoot that 9mm at 150 yards on paper and stumps. But you want to talk sh!t about me when all I was saying is that you need to open our eyes more often? I was trying to help you by telling you to help yourself. I apologize for my sarcasim. I didnt intend to hurt your feelings, spoilt-boy.

"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
Don'tassume some people dont look for weakness. Life Lesson Learned.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:22 AM

As stated before, and I KNOW I am not the only one on these forums that thought this. The 243 was thought to be a 100-150 yard gun. I have read it with my own eyes and seen it more than once in numerous postings. Hell you might have been one, start a new account now tryin to act the part of a bullet/ballistics master. for 100-150 yards i would rather carry my 30-30, still do. But i fell more confident now about useing the short barrel smooth action of the M77 for longer shots. I dont reload and noone i know locally reloads, so fixing up a Hot/special load just isnt in the cards.

Oh, and on my old man; he buys guns from people all the time. For him to give me a gun is NOTHING out of the ordinary, and for me to sight them in and store them never to touch again is not out of the question.

NEwho im dont with this one, what started as a intell type post somehow turned into a flame war by some of the lessers of the forums (ie. Pighunter and Cryptic Gypsy). And also one reason I stopped droppin in so much in the first place.
Its alright, you've already shown your lack of knowledge, you don't know a great deal about firearms, or how they work, and to call me a "lesser" member is a mistake, I've have been a member for 4 years, and have had several accounts. The .243, a 100-150 yard cartridge, it is not, the .243 can kill deer out to 300 yards, but, obviously you didn't know that. Before you come in here asking stupid questions, do a little research, it'll go a long way.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:31 AM

And the .222 just dont get used either. Hard to find ammo for it round here less they special order it.
I usually grab my 30-30 incase i choose to stalk. or my 300wsm for the stand.
Good combo really.
I just always liked the one gun used, one gun backup theory.

biscuit jake said "I am sorry to see it decline in popularity." when speaking of the 222,I agree.
If you ever get into handloading dont look over that rifle.

Pighunter56
A good shooter can kill a deer farther than 300 yards with the 243 Winchester.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Baleful Scout

And the .222 just dont get used either. Hard to find ammo for it round here less they special order it.
I usually grab my 30-30 incase i choose to stalk. or my 300wsm for the stand.
Good combo really.
I just always liked the one gun used, one gun backup theory.

biscuit jake said "I am sorry to see it decline in popularity." when speaking of the 222,I agree.
If you ever get into handloading dont look over that rifle.

Pighunter56
A good shooter can kill a deer farther than 300 yards with the 243 Winchester.
I was gonna say that, but, I'm gonna get blasted, as is.