Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Lightfield Slugs

Old 01-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lightfield Slugs

Old 01-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

Lightfields are made not to have a complete passthru, but are made sothat all the energy destroys the taget (tissue) this what kills, not a passthru
I agree with BowHunterCop. The definition of an ideal hunting bullet is it causes maximum tissue damage and completely depletes its energy into the target, just short of complete penetration.

I've started 4 kids deerhunting with the same 20 gauge and shooting Lightfield 20 ga. slugs. They've taken 9 deer total. I can't recall any passthroughs, but, I recall each deer fell within 60 yds of being shot. These little slugs have manageable recoil for young shooters and extremely accurate.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

That Lightfield video is a crock!

#1 there is no way at all of knowing what slugs were actually being fired.

The 2 guys shooting the buck were aiming uphill and the shot of the buck they allegedly shoot is a downhill camera angle in a much different lighting. Obvious editing.

The Slug X, slug Y and Lightfieldwas totally misleading. Slug "X" was a hole punched by asmaller 20 gauge, as was slug "Y"shole. Then the miraculous Lightfields punch obviously 12 gauge (probobly foster slugs - the holes are ridiculously large for a sabot-type slug, if not 10 gauge holes in the bullseye.

Is anyone really gullible enough to not see that?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry I had to post again because I had to take a break and finish laughing.

BOWHUNTERCOP, Gruntr Huntr-want to buy some ocean front property here in Illinois? [X(]

Bowflex said he shot those 2 deer at 15 and 40 yards but didn't get a pass thru. Does anyone really think that the slug has some built-in computer controlled braking system (CCBS) to aidin "delivering maximum energy" by not passing thru? At whatever range impact takes place? Hilarity!

According to the cute little chart snedd posted, at 15-40 yards those Lightfield's were going atleast 1800 fps and bringing home a likely 1800 lbs of energy. And still didn't pass thru?! That must be where the CCBS pays off. [:-]

So what I'm being told here is no matter what the range the Lightfield's are designed to slow themselves thru some magical process to deliver maximum energy? Aren't the Lightfield's supposed to be some magic longer range slug? Hit the brakes!

I AM NOT A PHYSICS MAJOR! But isn't energy the result of mass (slug weight) X velocity (fps)? It's something like that.

Therefore any reduction in the speed of the projectile while traveling thru the animal will result in a reduction in delivered energy compared to a slug just blasting completely thru and losing as little speed as possible.

If you have ever seen a bullet shot into ballistic geletin where it stops in the block you see a funnel shape created with the smallest part of the funnel being where the bullet stops. The funnel shape is created because the delivered energy is tapering off near the end of the travel. Pretty simple really.

If the projectile blasts completely thru the gel it still creates the funnel shaping somewhat as the projectile slows a bit.

On a given shot placement, a pass thru, and a full blast thru will deliver more energy every time than a non-pass thru.

Brenneke - designed for the world's most dangerous game.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a given shot placement, a pass thru, and a full blast thru will deliver more energy every time than a non-pass thru.

Maybe I missed something here.The statement doesn't appear to consider all variables when talking expansion,retained energy,bullet config,etc..etc..
vs a "Pass Thru". Based on my own field experiance PT does not always mean more expended energy into the Kill Zone/Vitals vs retained bullet.

On Deer sized game using 12g slug slinger - I've always gone for the slug that goes in expands into vitals and leaves a dimple just under the hide opposite side - animal drops within XX yards.That is the perfect projectile.
BTW I'm talking 100-125 yrd shots.

I have never found any advantage in "pass thru" other than a blood trail that you might have to follow for XXXX yards to find animal.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remember what I said about the ballistic geletain example and the funnel shape.

If you compare apples-to-apples, hitting in the exact same spot, at the same angle, even with the exact same slug weight and design, a complete pass thru will be delivering more energy than the slug stopping somewhere short of exiting. It's simple logic/physics.

Remember the funnel.

Think of it this way. (it's just an example, no offense intended)........

Let's say your chest is 10 inches thick. If I were to strike you in the chest with the butt end of a baseball bat with enough force thatthe butt end stopped 5 inches into your chest, and then did it again with enough force to drive the bat completely thru or even just 9 inches thru.

Which would deliver more energy?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:04 PM

Many fo you seem to be ok with deer running 50-75 yds before they pile up. That may be fine where you hunt, but here in NJ, if you don't knock that bugger down, he's gonna trot on over yonder to the next guy on stand and that guy is gonna drop that deer and its his. Jersey's unwritten rule is " he who drops him, keeps 'em!" We don't always get to spread out they way I would like to hunt. Thats why I like the fast, saboted slugs.
They deliver AND pass through!! Which, in my opinion is good. You get a large blood trail and you break both shoulders! I only rib shoot when I'm on private property and know I have no competition for the deer. On state land, I neck shoot or break both shoulders to drop 'em quick. Too many guys show up at first light and park their butt on a rock or log75-100 yds away from your well placed stand. They could care less if you're shining your flashlight and whistling to get their attention. They play dumb and ignore you. If a buck comes your way, you gotta' shoot quick and knock 'em down!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Note to self...
Never, ever, never hunt public land in New Jersey!

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 01-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

UM,

Well - lets see what your geletain funnel looks like if you take the same cal,weight bullet and swap it out for a soft point HP.

I have no clue where your comin from with apples,bat,my 10" chest and the same spot,angle,slug,weight,design delivering more pass thru energy than the same retained slug - that has properly expanded - expended and released its energy inside the animals vitals or bone structure.

Hey - I'm just talkin decades of field experiance.

BTW - There are hunters out there that do not buy into the "Pass Thru" theory.

Back to the Lightfields - Great Slugs.I don't currently use them but always carry a few along with some Federals.These 2 slugs always seem to be consitant in any slug slinger I've used.Good slugs to give to a huntin buddy that might be short one day.They both get the job done.

Look at pass thru like this.Would you rather have a small heart lung pass thru from a dime shaped slug or a soft nose HP slug that went in expanded to the size of quarter and destroyed the Heart Lungs.Dear drops in 20-25 yrds.The pass thru runs ?????? yrds. I lost a very nice Buck 12yrs ago to a "Tidal Marsh" on a pass thru shot where deer bled like a stuck hog.He went at least 150-200yrds into marsh before the marsh ate up his blood trail.Hek with the pass thru theorys.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: AJ52

Look at pass thru like this.Would you rather have a small heart lung pass thru from a dime shaped slug or a soft nose HP slug that went in expanded to the size of quarter and destroyed the Heart Lungs.
Yep! About 70mm

Quick Reply: Lightfield Slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.