Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Bullets for 7 mag

Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Bullets for 7 mag

I recenlty purchased a 7mag Weatherby Van Guard from my uncle who came across a Browning short mag he had his eye on. Well I have the 7 mag now. What I am wondering is what type of bullet do you guys suggest. I have hunted with my marlin 30/30 all my life and have always used 150 gr silver tips. I looked at my bullet select and there are Silver Tips, Balistic Tips, Nosler Balistic tips, hollow points, and etc... Any exp with these bullets. I have heard good and bad but that has been a long time ago. Suggestions before I spend 50 bucks on a box of shells...
Old 12-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullets for 7 mag

The correct answer is "whatever shoots best in your rifle". I would also say it it based on what you are hunting. If only deer, Id stick with a 140-150 gr Ballistic tip or PSP. If you are going bigger, Id say 160 Nolser Partition.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I'd try 175 gr. core lokt's first. A couple of my buddies use that load with excellent results. Plus it does'nt cost and arm and a leg.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stick with a 140 grain bullet, that is excellent for deer sized game.

I personally use Nosler Partitions and Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 7 Mag loads. I have some friends that use Remington Core-Locs and they like the results they get. You should try a few different brands and types of bullets to find what shoots best in your rifle.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have been shooting Ballistic Tips for several years, Federal 150 grs. They have always done very well, until this year. I shot a large doe about 4 pm. on 11-17-06 and she ran off. I went over to the spot where she had been standing and could not find any blood or hair. I checked around for 15-20 yds. (didn't want to mess up the area for other hunters still in the woods)and still no sign that I had made a hit. Now I am not a world class sniper but damn I do shoot deer. I replayed the shot over and over that night and just knew I didn't hit something(branch,etc.)or miss the deer. The next morning I hunted a blind about 100 yds. over the next ridge figuring I would look for the doe about 10 am. As it became light I saw my dead deer 20 yds. from the blind. Upon field dressing the animal I found the bullet had hit a rib and completley torn apart the inside of the deer. The bullet never had a chance to make an exit wound, the heart and lungs were jelly. She probably went about 100 yds. before piling up. First time I had that happen, usually they are down right away.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

For deer sized gameI shoot 150gr NBT in my 7mm remmag. For bigger I now use 140gr Barnes TSX, prior Nosler partitions in 150 or 160 gr versions.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I load 140 gr. Barnes Triple Shocks in my 7mm Rem mag. More bullet than I need for whitetail deer, but they're very accurate and I like the insurance.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:36 PM

I've shot deer with 150 gr Federal premium ballistic tips and they are devastating. Every deer I shot the bullet passed completely through and the exit hole was the size of a beer can. Not one deer took a step. One small buck I hit quartering away with one shot. When we butchered the deer it looked like I shot it three times with 30-06. The whole front half of the deer was jello. I switched over to 175gr core loc PSP hoping for less expansion and hopefully less damage.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chr103yod
One small buck I hit quartering away with one shot. When we butchered the deer it looked like I shot it three times with 30-06. The whole front half of the deer was jello.
maybe you just need to shoot bigger deer J/K
Old 12-08-2006, 05:07 AM

Thanks for all your info guys. I will read through the post a few more times and see if I can make a decision. I want something that will knock the down and keep them down with out damage to the meat. I think I can make that happen...Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Bullets for 7 mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.