Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

steven rifle question

Old 12-18-2006, 08:42 PM

Default RE: steven rifle question

ORIGINAL: crimedog

They come with freefloated barrels is BS, if you check the facts and individual gun you'll findthey have contact on all I have ran dollar bills down and that contact is uneven andmore when you rest the gun on a vise or bipod because the flimsy stock. .
What is your experence with the Stevens 200? Do you have one from reading 200 post about itandnot evershooting it? Still haven't offered your experence with it.
The old savages didnt come with free floated barrels but a little sanding remedied that real quick...nitpickin
The new savage owners manual clearly states that if the barrel is not free floating you should disassemble and reassemble properly...any savage owner should know that. thus leaves me to believe you have absolutly no idea of what you speak.

All together my family and myself have probally over 40 Savage/Stevens firearms. So I have a little more than a little bit of experience and feel my opinion on them is a solid one.

I would also like to add, without bragging, that I would almost bet mySavage to any in your collection of compareable value($1500)
1 Shot 1 Milk Jug@ 1000 Yards
Old 12-18-2006, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Baleful Scout

They come with freefloated barrels is BS, if you check the facts and individual gun you'll findthey have contact on all I have ran dollar bills down and that contact is uneven andmore when you rest the gun on a vise or bipod because the flimsy stock. .
What is your experence with the Stevens 200? Do you have one from reading 200 post about itandnot evershooting it? Still haven't offered your experence with it.
The old savages didnt come with free floated barrels but a little sanding remedied that real quick...nitpickin
The new savage owners manual clearly states that if the barrel is not free floating you should disassemble and reassemble properly...any savage owner should know that. thus leaves me to believe you have absolutly no idea of what you speak.

All together my family and myself have probally over 40 Savage/Stevens firearms. So I have a little more than a little bit of experience and feel my opinion on them is a solid one.

I would also like to add, without bragging, that I would almost bet mySavage to any in your collection of compareable value($1500)
1 Shot 1 Milk Jug@ 1000 Yards
Thanks, Baleful, I thought I waswalking on a thin leg there.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:24 AM

yup.
In crimedogs defense (if in fact he speaks of a truthful bad experience.)was due to the fact that savage employed a 1:12twist for the.223 which didnt unleash the potential of match bullets...Savage now uses a 1:9 twist on the .223 which fixed the problem.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Baleful Scout

yup.
In crimedogs defense (if in fact he speaks of a truthful bad experience.)was due to the fact that savage employed a 1:12twist for the.223 which didnt unleash the potential of match bullets...Savage now uses a 1:9 twist on the .223 which fixed the problem.
I just do not like it, when people base their opinion, on a one time, minor incident.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:34 AM

Me either.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

One of the Savage and Stevens downfall is the 1 in 9 twist they use on 223's, Savage designed there guns to shoot 69 Serria Match King bullets. The problem here is most commercial 223 ammo is 40-60 grainsthus over-stabilization of lighter bullets takes place and the Savage223 rifles are less than accurate for 223's.

Baleful Scout

Taking apart a gun and reassembling will not correct contact issues,materal would need to be removed. The reason older Savage rifles were not free floated is because that was thought to be the best method in the day, the last two inches would have upward presure. Remington continues to practice this today.You may have friends and family with Savage rifles but how many are Stevens 200 in 223? You and Chantecler111 have spoke of other cal's, where my response was limited to the Stevens223's except where I checked others for contact in the barrel channel. And no matter what you wish or do the Savage rifles have 1 in 9 twist barrels on the 223's and shoot less than accurate for 223.

As for your offer to shoot aganst me, start shooting action pistol and you can have that chance, otherwise no money in it other than selling your gun when Iembarrass you.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:08 PM

As for your offer to shoot aganst me, start shooting action pistol and you can have that chance, otherwise no money in it other than selling your gun when Iembarrass you.
Ok. So be it.
But since you are so much better. I should get to choose the terms.
Ruger Mk II 4 3/4" ALL STOCK NO UPGRADES
We both start with 50 rounds of CCI Stinger.
Whichever of us brings back the most skinned cookable meat wins.
2 Day limit.
The winner gets all the meat.
I live around theCentral Ky/Tn Border.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Let me use my 22/45 with a 4.5 barrel, like the grip angle better. Also stingers are very erratic out of pistols, try lower velocity bullets accuracy will be better.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:59 PM

One of the Savage and Stevens downfall is the 1 in 9 twist they use on 223's, Savage designed there guns to shoot 69 Serria Match King bullets. The problem here is most commercial 223 ammo is 40-60 grainsthus over-stabilization of lighter bullets takes place and the Savage223 rifles are less than accurate for 223's.

Baleful Scout

Taking apart a gun and reassembling will not correct contact issues,materal would need to be removed. The reason older Savage rifles were not free floated is because that was thought to be the best method in the day, the last two inches would have upward presure. Remington continues to practice this today.You may have friends and family with Savage rifles but how many are Stevens 200 in 223? You and Chantecler111 have spoke of other cal's, where my response was limited to the Stevens223's except where I checked others for contact in the barrel channel. And no matter what you wish or do the Savage rifles have 1 in 9 twist barrels on the 223's and shoot less than accurate for 223.

Crimedog, I would love to see you back up these claims of your supposed greatness, what is your real name? I'll do an internet search. And please, give me a real name, not some crap you pulled off the net.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM

Not so sure of your skills, huh?
I know standard velocity .22 generally yields tighter groups, I found that out many years ago.
The stinger is more dependable for the behind the ear shot on hogs.

Quick Reply: steven rifle question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.