Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Mossberg 500 Slugster?

Old 11-15-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Mossberg 500 Slugster?

Anybody hunt with this pump gun? In particular the fully rifled, iron sighted version. Doesn't matter what gauge you shoot, I want to know how both the 12 and 20 gauge do in the woods. Saw a fully dipped Mossy Oak version at Gander Mountain for $289. I think the basic wood sells for around$250. These guns are just about the same price as a slug barrel for my Benelli Nova so I might as well just by a mossy 500 foradedicated deer gun, I'll save the Nova for the turkeys.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mossberg 500 Slugster?

i used to have one i used it for 3 years and it killed a total of 10 deer i was group hunting in iowa shot great my cousin and i traded barrels when i sold it because the one he had was just a smooth bore with sights and that barrel has probably killed 25-30 deer it shoots 2-3 inch groups at 75 yards with that big chunk of lead what more do you need i like the mossberg i would go for it
Old 11-16-2006, 09:32 AM

I bought one about7-8 years ago. It came with synthetic stocks, matte black finish,ported rifled barrel and a cantilever scope mount. It had everything I wanted in a slug gun and it was very cheap so I didn't care if I scratched it up a bit. I have been very happy with it andit shoots lightfield slugs great. It still looks brand new and I don't baby the thing. The only thing I don't like is the foregrip is sloppy and it makes noise if you aren't careful. It seems bulletproof and I've never had an issue with it.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Deer hunted with My 12 ga. 500, rifled barrel, iron sights for 5 years, then mounted a Red Dot on it for another 3 more years.

Loved the gun, hated the trigger.
If You can hold it still while pulling down on that 8# plus trigger, it will group about 3" at 100 yards.

Gun smith said nothing can be done for mossberg triggers,

so I went with a Rem1100 and a jewell trigger at 3#

Some how I miss the 500, I just out grew the trigger.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first ever shotgun was the a 12ga Mossberg 500 w/ smooth bore slugster barrell. Nearly 20yrs later I hunt with that same gun. Its the only shotgun I've ever used for deer. Since I've owned it I've replaced the scope on it 1x, and last yr I think I finally wore out the ol' barrell, and replaced it with a rifled barrell. I'm using the winchester BRI sabot slugs in it, and it shoots even better yet. I used to use Brenneki/rottweil slugs with the smooth bore barrell, and its killed alot of deer for me over the yrs. There's probably better shotguns on the market, but for the price you can't beat them.
I also own another 12ga Mossberg 500 with the accu-choke barrell, and mossbergs xx-full turkey choke. I camo'd it up, and its been my turkey gun for the last 5yrs. I picked it up used for $150. With Nitro ammo it'll put 35 pellets in the head & neck of a turkey target at 40yds.
Last but not least I also picked up a used 20ga Mossberg, that my boys use. I have both the accu choke & slugster barrell for it. Open sights. Thats been a good gun as well.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I have the mossberg 500 slugster as well. Have had it for many years. It's a fantastic shotgun. I have hunted with it, shot clay with it. never a failure. I recommend it highly.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 500's.One is fitted(15yrs+ old) with modified smooth bore.I've taken deer with slugs and 00-000 buck.Other is fitted(25yrs+ old)with rifled barrel and cant scope mount. Had a few guys with the fancy $500+ Rem 870 rib me over the old noisy ugly 500's.Can't outshoot the 500 and the newer 870's will malfunction long before the average 500.

Both my 500's are noisy,a bit ugly - But - are rugged Bullet Proof guns not to mention very accurate with rifled slug barrel and good scope.

By far the best 'Bang' for the $buck$ IMO.I've never had a problem worth talking about.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

my son just purcase a mossberg 500 slugster trophy model with the thumb hole platic stock,we mounted a older bushnell banner 3x9x38MM scope and with Remington copper heads sabot 2 3/4 shells I seen him put 3 rounds at the 100 yard target all clover leaf group.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Spike

Good evening all:

Well, I spent all day yesterday looking to buy a shotgun and I came home with a 12 Ga. Mossberg 500 combo that included a 28 inch ported barrel, a 24 inch ported and rifled slug barrel,three chokes, scope, sling swivels and a lock for $349.99purchased from a local Dick's Sporting Goods. I'm anxious to get out and get familiar with this gun.

I started the day at a gun show and only saw one brand new Mossberg 500 which was a 20 Ga. The price was $279.99 so I decided to head up to a well known gun shop north of Richmond Virginia and saw several used 500s for around $229.99 each so I think I got a good deal.

That was until this morning when I got the Dick's sale paper in the Sunday newspaper and the combo set I bought was discounted $50.00 starting today.

Oh well, live and learn. There's not much I can do about it now except make thisinvestment last.

Have a great evening,
Greg
Old 06-14-2022, 01:04 AM
Spike

I bought my Mossberg 500 slugster 1984. 24 inch smooth bore. Deer hunting in Michigan. mounted a scope, the rings kept loosening up from the recoil. I JB welded the rings used a 21/2 power scope. Where I hunted the deer came out in corn field 156 paces from where I sat. I have taken more than 40 deer one shot with that gun. It would hit a small paper plate at that distance. It liked Fed. and Rem 7/8 ounce slugs. Recoil would punish you so I didn't target shoot it. It is a excellent shotgun. I have had friends purchase all different brands of shotguns for deer hunting none have done any better than the Mossberg.

Quick Reply: Mossberg 500 Slugster?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.