Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Mossberg 500 Slugster?

Old 12-25-2023, 10:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 1970Ranger
Anybody hunt with this pump gun? In particular the fully rifled, iron sighted version. Doesn't matter what gauge you shoot, I want to know how both the 12 and 20 gauge do in the woods. Saw a fully dipped Mossy Oak version at Gander Mountain for $289. I think the basic wood sells for around$250. These guns are just about the same price as a slug barrel for my Benelli Nova so I might as well just by a mossy 500 deer gun, I'll save the Nova for the turkeys.
Absolutely! Many hunters have had success using pump guns for hunting, including the Mossberg 500. The fully rifled, iron sighted version can be a reliable choice for deer hunting in the woods. The 12 gauge and 20 gauge options both have their merits, with the 12 gauge offering more power and the 20 gauge being slightly lighter and more maneuverable. The Mossy Oak version you mentioned sounds like a great find at a reasonable price.

By opting for a dedicated deer gun like the Mossberg 500, you can ensure you have a reliable and accurate firearm specifically tailored for deer hunting, while keeping your Benelli Nova available for other game like turkeys. It's a smart approach that maximizes the versatility of your firearms collection. Best of luck with your decision, and happy hunting!
Old 12-26-2023, 03:33 AM
Spike

The Mossberg 500 Slugster is a variant of the Mossberg 500 series, a popular line of pump-action shotguns manufactured by O.F. Mossberg & Sons. The Slugster model is specifically designed for use with shotgun slugs, which are heavy projectiles suitable for hunting large game at relatively short ranges.