Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Marlin 1894 .44 from Big 5? >

Marlin 1894 .44 from Big 5?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Marlin 1894 .44 from Big 5?

Old 05-31-2006, 12:11 PM
Spike

Default Marlin 1894 .44 from Big 5?

Hello everyone, I'm new to hunting net, have only been seriously hunting for the last few years but I'm quite consumed with it. I've been involved with firearms most of my life and volunteer as a range saftey officer at a local range. (nutshell hello speech!).

I just bought a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag from my newly local Big 5 store. It has a hardwood stock instead of the nice walnut stock my 336C has but I'm thinking on mostly using it for fairly closeup protection while out scouting and camping and such. (The most I have to worry about here in southern Calif is pot farmers and mountain lions, of which I'm sharing one hunting spot with 2 of the big cats that I know of).

Has anyone had any experience with these bargain Marlins good or bad? I'm thinking that they do come with the Marlin guarantee and Marlin will make whatever right. Am I thinking right?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:33 PM

Default RE: Marlin 1894 .44 from Big 5?

I got a wally world 1894 in .357. I love it and use it more than anything else. The only problem is that it refuses to feed SWC ammo. Not a huge deal for me since I prefer jacketed ammo.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a 1894 in 44 Magnum as well. I have not tried the Cast Performance 300 Grain LFNGC bullets yet but I just picked up a box at Cabelas. Cast Performance claims that this bullet will feed through the Marlin. Its an LBT style bullet which should stop about any critter that it hits. I will load some of them up soon and report on them.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: medicblue

Hello everyone, I'm new to hunting net, have only been seriously hunting for the last few years but I'm quite consumed with it. I've been involved with firearms most of my life and volunteer as a range saftey officer at a local range. (nutshell hello speech!).

I just bought a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag from my newly local Big 5 store. It has a hardwood stock instead of the nice walnut stock my 336C has but I'm thinking on mostly using it for fairly closeup protection while out scouting and camping and such. (The most I have to worry about here in southern Calif is pot farmers and mountain lions, of which I'm sharing one hunting spot with 2 of the big cats that I know of).

Has anyone had any experience with these bargain Marlins good or bad? I'm thinking that they do come with the Marlin guarantee and Marlin will make whatever right. Am I thinking right?
why do you call it a bargain marlin?? do you think its of lesser quality because it came from big 5? sure it has berch stocks instead of the walnut stocks, which is the only corner cut to offer the gun at a lower price. I can guarentee you everything else is up to top notch quality. In manufacturing its cheaper to have one quality standard then to have two.

Other then the berch stocks its no different then another of the same gun with walnut stocks, just berch is a ton cheaper than walnut.

I have one of the "bargain guns" a marlin 30-30 model 30AW from walmart it has berch stocks instead of walnut but its just as good as any other marlin rifle ive had (M795, M1894, and M336). the rifle is over 10 years old and have shot hundreds if not a couple thousand rounds through it. many deer have fell to this rifle its also rode in my truck for several years as a full time truck gun. nothing has broken on it and it shoots just as good as the day I bought it.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: VT_Hunter1980

I got a wally world 1894 in .357. I love it and use it more than anything else. The only problem is that it refuses to feed SWC ammo. Not a huge deal for me since I prefer jacketed ammo.
what kind of swc ammo you shooting? mine feeds 38 special and 357 swc ammo fine.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Spike

why do you call it a bargain marlin?? do you think its of lesser quality because it came from big 5?
Actually no, I called it a bargain Marlin because I got it for $334. instead of the $570. I was quoted (By only one dealer). Thats a pretty good bargain in my book!

As for the hardwood stock, its the same hardwood stock that Marlin uses on their good ol Model 60 rod load .22. Of which I gave to both of my sons as their first firearms several years ago. I have every faith in the stock, I looked it over and its straight and well fit.

The only thing I noticed was that the bolt didn't seem to close quite flush and I was a little curious about the headspacing. But as I noted in my post, its a Marlin with the Marlin guarantee. If that turns out to be a problem, I'm sure they'll fix it up.

Please excuse my wondering out loud, I don't have the rifle yet, (10 day wait) so I haven't been able to try it out. I have found a few things on the internet that identified a few minor problems and a really cool cowboy shooting website that had some Marlin Fix tips. So I was just curious if anyone here had some feedback.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:33 AM

Any that I've tried. It even has trouble feeding SJHPs sometimes as the exposed lead seems to catch on something as I try and close the bolt. I'm going to have a gunsmith check it out as soon as I save up the $$.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ain't nothin wrong with Marlin!!!!!