Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

REMINGTON 7400

Old 02-13-2006, 09:01 PM

Default REMINGTON 7400

what are the good and bad things about this gun. how does it shoot.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: REMINGTON 7400

I owned one for about a month. It was one of my worst investments I ever made in a rifle. Buy the 7600 pump instead, much more reliable and a decent shooter to boot. If you must have a semi the the BAR is the one to buy.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:55 AM
bigcountry

I have one and have killed more deer than I could count.I havehad it since theearly 80's.Never had problem with it as long as you clean it correctly. Alot of the reports you will get I have found are from people that ever never even owned one but heard this and that from the web or the local hunting store.

I did have to do some work on my forearm because tightening the screw can change POI. So I removed some material at the reciever end so the forarm doesn't press against the reciever.

I don't use it much anymore as I got several other good weapons for the job. But it gets rotated thru the stack. I took the scope off and use it for drives mainly now. Very handy and perfect for that purpose.

I see in Rifle Mag, they have improved several features on it, to make it more dynamic on loads. Its called the 750 I believe.

The only bad I can list is reloading for it. Sometimes I couldn't reload for accuracy, but had to load to where it cycled perfectly from 0F to 90F temp. But fortunately, I found a good fast load that cycled perfectly. That goes for BAR's too however.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

I ve heard alot of bad but if you do your part and keep them cleaned and lubed good you should have no problems. My buddys dad uses one in 270 and it has never jammed most of the people that say they jam have probley never cleaned them properly. In mn here thats seems to be the gun of choice for most deer hunters and it don't sound like alot of them jam when your sitting in yourstand opening morning if you know what I mean, bam.bam.bam.bam..I here that alot. I have shot one andit is more then accurate enough for most hunting.Like said above maybe try the 7600 they offer fast follow up shot also. Good luck

Where you from in mn
Old 02-14-2006, 12:21 PM

I have one in .308. Killed pleanty of deer with it and never had a problem. It has never jammed on me in 15 years of service, just keep it clean.

Fat-Arrow
Old 02-16-2006, 12:31 PM

If you're concerned about accuracy, you'd be better off to check into a bolt action rifle.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love mine in 06' never had a jam, I have a 7600 also and that shoots great too. Heck get one and try it, decide for yourself!!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Keep it clean. My 270 jammed initially due to the chamber needing conditioning and after that, it jammed when dirty or when using re-loads.Remington is veryinconsistent in production of these rifles. Either they are great, or horrible. I have seen some that are awesome, mine was horrible. My father-in-law has one in 308, it is deadly accureate and shoots nice. I love his. EJ
Old 02-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a .270 for 15 years and have killed alot of deer with it. I did have it jam once when I was using a 10 shot clip that I bought for it. I was in a hurry to buy a backup clip and thats all the store had. The good news is I was able to clear the jam and throw my other clip in and STILL got the deer. I think it jammed because it needed to be cleaned. Great gun.....no regrets buying it.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:37 PM

Like so many others I've "heard" bad things. No doubt alot is due to that fact that a semi gun wil REQUIRE proper maintenance. I'd honestly get the 7600 and not have to worry about it. Again I "hear" they're more accurate and if you've not shot pump shotguns, I'll let you in on a secret...they are every bit as fast as a semi, especially after a few thousand "shuckings". There's famous clips of a guy throwing five clays, by hand, up in the air and emptying the clip before they hit the ground. At that rate you gun's speed is moot point and it comes down to how fast YOU can get back on target.

I'd love to have the 30-06 carbine

Quick Reply: REMINGTON 7400

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.