Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Cleaning the 1911 45 auto barrel >

Cleaning the 1911 45 auto barrel

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Cleaning the 1911 45 auto barrel

Old 03-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cleaning the 1911 45 auto barrel

Out of all the pistols I have owned and fired, this barrel seemed to require the most attention. After putting, say, 50 rounds through, I would carefully clean it, get to a clean patch, check it 3 days later and and see more dark in the barrel. Was I underestimating how much solvent to use? Anything else I have owned, 22 auto, 38 spc and 357 Mag revolver, 44 and 45 revolver did not behave like the 45 Auto barrel. Also, I have tended to fire the 1911 in humid and semitropical conditions. The armorer said that hot barrels sweat carbon later, so extra attention needed.

Your thoughts?

Old 03-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cleaning the 1911 45 auto barrel

ive never had that problem but try using a bore snake after u think it swaets out some more those bore snakes have alought of surface are cleaning area than a patch

Old 03-04-2006, 06:57 PM

It sounds like you have a rough bore in that .45 barrel. The pits grab and holdlead and powder residue. Some of them shoot real well, though. Cure is a new barrel. Barsto, Kart, and Schumann are all good.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

i had the same problem with a couple of my pistols, what happens is powder and lead deposits gets caught up in rough spots in the bore so even after you clean it those deposits work themselves out over those couple days of just setting, usually after shooting I'll clean the guns when i get home and then after 2 to 3 days I'll go back and run a couple patches through it again.

Something you can do to help smooth out the rough spots is get ya a jar of JB bore paste and next time you go shooting swab your barrel half a dozen times with the paste and then clean the gun up like you normally would after about every 50 shots do this till you have had 500 rounds through the gun. This is how I break in new pistols seems to do the trick nicely to smooth up the rough spots. just when doing this I would use jacketed ammo and save the lead cast stuff till after you finish this process. After you do that and if you still have the problem then maybe you might consider a new barrel just consider it though and try using the jb bore paste by swabbing the barrel first a half dozen time during your normal cleaning sessions after you are done shooting and if it doesnt work then you might want to seriously think about a new barrel because at that point your barrel would be about hopeless. in other words the jb bore paste should do the trick for ya. good luck