Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Auto Shotgun Cleaning >

Auto Shotgun Cleaning

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Auto Shotgun Cleaning

Old 12-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Auto Shotgun Cleaning

What is your regimen for cleaning your auto shotgun? I would like to get a Rem 1100, but I really don't want another cleaning nightmare like my AR 15. How hard is the auto shotgun to clean? How often does one need to do more than clean the barrel for it to be 100% reliable?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Auto Shotgun Cleaning

Any gun that you want to work relialby needs to be cleaned after every time you go shooting..

Except my Glock 19, it will shoot through hell!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

A gas operated auto (like the 1100) will need to be COMPLETELY broken down and cleaned about every 1000 rounds or so. I have heard different numbers before, but 1000 seems to be the average. That means taking the trigger assembly out, removing the recoil spring, completely cleaning the fouling from the gas ports etc etc.

Now, you should wipe it down well after each time you handle or shoot it. The place that fouls up the most is of course the gas piston area, which is what lies beneath the fore-end. You will see the carbon build up, and it is easily removed.

I have been shooting 1100's for a long time, and have had ZERO problems with them. But, just like a car, you have to perform maintence on it relatively frequently to make sure it keeps running well. If you want a completely maintence free gun, you need to purchase a pump or break action gun. Although, you may well find that without an occasional cleaning, they too will fail.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Auto shotgun? Don't like to clean? There's only one choice, Benelli SBE. Shoot 5-6000 rounds, take it in the shower and rinse it off well, repeat. If it makes you feel better, use a little CLP on a Boresnakeonce a year.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:59 AM

I'd have to disagree with some of the comments made here. I've been shooting autos for close to 50 years starting with a Rem Sportsman 58 and currently shoot 1100's and 11-87's several days a week, every week. I've been known to go thousands of rounds between cleaning, other than the wiping down of the outside. What will get me to tear one down and clean inside and out, is either shooting in the rain or the end of a league. Don't worry, cleaning an 1100 is a piece of cake. For the record, I have never cleaned the recoil spring. I clean the gas tube (easy), knock the 2 pins for the trigger assembly out and pull it. Hose the trigger assem out with WD-40 and then hit it with a spray lubricant, that's done. Wipe the action out and clean the barrel. Once every year or so, I replace the rubber gas ring. Put it together and I'm done. If you're truely concerned about the gas system, buy a Benelli and don't worry about the gas.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

I would like to get a Rem 1100, but I really don't want another cleaning nightmare like my AR 15.
Man, Im not busting on ya, but what is so nightmarish about cleaning an AR-15??? I mean I can have mine tore apart in under a minute, clean in 5 minutes, and reassemble in a minute.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

. . .I can have mine tore apart in under a minute, clean in 5 minutes, and reassemble in a minute.
Wow, you're good. It takes me 30min to feel I have it wiped out well enough.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

With a can of brake cleaner, a toothbrush and a boresnake, 5 mins includes carrying it back upstairs and putting it back in the safe.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:35 PM

Browning A-5's are pretty dependable. You can't really do much as far as extensive cleaning because of the way are put together, but then they really don't need it unless you shoot alot. My shop said to bring it in every 5 years or so for normal use and they can take it apart and clean the action, cost about 70 bucks.

Other wise you just wipe it down, oil a few spots and clean the barrel.

You would have to get one used though.

I agree with the AR or M-16 not being that hard to clean, I could completely dissasemble one and clean it in probably 20 minutes. And I mean taking the bolt apart and everything. They are a pretty simple design and fairly easy to field strip.

Paul
Old 12-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on the model. The 1100/11-87 are fairly easy guns to clean. They do need to be cleaned more often than other operating system and newer gas designs. Gas models like the Beretta 390, 3901, AL391, A391 Xtrema's and Browning Gold/Winchester SX2/3 can go longer between cleanings like an Inertia and Long Recoil design because the don't vent gas into the action. Gas guns like the Beretta A391 Xtrema's, Franchi's 612,712,912, and Weatherby SAS are as easy as other operating systems or easier depending on the amount of tear down.

Inertia models like the Franchi I-12 and Stoeger 2000 are the easiest models to do complete tear downs on. The Browning A-5 would be the hardest followed by the Beretta AL391.

You should do a complete tear down at least once a year or after the gun gets really wet. With a gas gun that would include cleaning the gas ports that the other operating systems don't have.