Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

First rifle help!

Old 12-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Default First rifle help!

Im in the market for my first rifle. I have a $500 dollar buget, I plan on doing a variety of hunting and I would like the rifle to include a scope. I was looking at theSAVAGE 110GXP3 package, has anyone had any experience with this gun? I was looking for something like a .30/06 is this a good round for hunting or should I just get a .22? Any comments would be appreciated
Old 12-06-2005, 11:57 AM

Default RE: First rifle help!

Always glad to hear someone is going to be joining,

First of all , the Savage that you are looking at is probably going to be the most accurate rifle with your budget or for the most part, any budget. I have used savages and they are extremely accurate and reliable,

If you plan on deer hunting than the 30-06 should would excellent, its a great caliber that has good range and have seen a lot of deer go down with it, if your looking for something a little smaller im a huge fan of the .270, my father has it in the Savage and i have had great success with it, good luck
Old 12-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cpsniper05

First of all , the Savage that you are looking at is probably going to be the most accurate rifle with your budget or for the most part, any budget. I have used savages and they are extremely accurate and reliable,
yep, I say get the 06 and dont look back!!! You may eventually want to replace the scope after you have had it a while, I found that the one GXP3 package I bought had a cheapo scope on it, it worked for a season or two but had alot of problems trying to see through it at first daylight and dusk.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

You will never go wrong buying a Savage rifle. I have owned several. The out of the box accuracy has been better than any Remington, Winchester, Ruger or Browning I have ever owned. Wal-mart has the combo package for $349 which included the accutrigger.You may later want to upgrade the simmons 8 point scope that comes on it.

An even better option, if you don't care for the accutrigger that is, look at the Stevens model 200. It's just the same old Savage minus the accutrigger.It's even duel pillar bedded & free floated. They sell locally for $289. A friend of mine just bought one. It shoots like a wet dream, which is what I have come to expect from Savage.

www.savagearms.com/st_200long.htm

Then top it off with a nice inexpensive scope such as the Simmoms AETEC, of Nikon Prostaff/BuckMaster. You'll have a nice set up that will be reliable, accurate and will last for years.

just my 2 cents......oh ya if you just want 1 rifle get the .30-06
Old 12-07-2005, 04:38 AM

if you already have some shooting experience, I would say a 30-06 is a great rifle to get. However you mention just getting a 22. If you dont really have any shooting experience, definitly get a 22 first and learn to shoot it well, rather than going straight for a '06. If you start out trying to learn to shoot with a 30-06, all your going to learn is how not to shhot properly...
Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 AM

Where and what will you use it for will help us out a lot and you should get a lot of recomondations. I think for your price range you won't find a better gun. If you are willing to spend just a couple more dollars I would say the Tikka T3 otherwise I think you will be happy with the Savage. For a general purpose caliber that will do a lot of things good. The 30-06, .270, .308, .280.,7mm-08, 7mm mag would be where I would start.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sixty,
The savage package is a good package for what you are wanting to spend. The 30-06 is a good all around caliber.
When you mentioned "or" the 22 i was confused. Not looking to hunt deer with the 22 are you?
I would suggest with the remaining money to actually buy an inexpensive 22 (savage has one for about $100). and learn with it first. Then go ahead and start practicing with the 30-06 as others have suggersted

Good luck
Old 12-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Savage makes a good gun, just plan on upgrading the scope. Without knowing what you are using the gun for, I really can't recommend a caliber.

You mention this is your first gun, and possibly starting off with a .22? Can you give us a little better idea of how much shooting experience you have?

Old 12-14-2005, 08:05 PM

I would say you have made a great choice no matter how much money you have to spend!! Go for it!! vangunsmith