Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 300.wsm vs. 300 rem ultra mag. >

300.wsm vs. 300 rem ultra mag.

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

300.wsm vs. 300 rem ultra mag.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:50 AM

Default RE: 300.wsm vs. 300 rem ultra mag.

I have the model 700 Rem, 300 Ultra Mag Sendero, SS, Fluted, 26 inch barrel. I hereby bare witness to what the 300 Ultra can/will do, its a bad dog.. I have consistently shot and killed deer at 400 yards (measured with range finder) with no problem. I use the Rem 180 gr Swift Scirocco sighted in at 2.75 inches high at 100 yards, and it is one flat shootin' - killin' gun/bullet. Man, it drops 'em in their tracks. My motto for my 300 RUMis "Something Wicked This Way Comes".
Old 11-10-2005, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

Don't be caught up in all the latest wizbang offerings from firearms manufactuors. They are in the business to sell thier product.
IMHO you have to look at the factory offerings to compare rounds. The 300 Win Mag and 300 Weatherby have been around along time now. With todays bullets and powder they are still good choices. I personally limit my shots to 300yards for animals larger than deer and 400 yards for deer sized animals. Those are ranges I know that I can make good clean one shot kills under hunting conditions. Both the Win Mag and Weatherby have fine repitations in the field and on the range. Free, Schmee don't let anyone put the thought in you mind the 300 weatherby isn't a very acurate round.
All that being said I would have to say the 300 WSM would be of interest if I was in the market for a new 300 round. If you handload you have to look what goes in (powder amount) and what comes out (recoil and velocity) When you stuff all that powder into a RUM it's going to go faster, it had better. But the queston should be how much powder does one use to make all rounds equal say for the sake of argument 3100 fps and you have a 3200 fps RUM that uses 10 grs or more ( alot of powder)to gain 100 feet. That's the dirty little secret handloaders fail to tell when they post.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:28 AM
bigcountry

Ruddy, what do you think happens with a 270 and you add 10 gr of case capaicity to it? You get 100-200fps gain. Ok, stay with me. What would happen if you expanded the 308win case to hold 15 more grains of powder and actually added it. You would have WSM that gets about 200fps more velocity.

Ok, I know its difficult to wrap your hands around, but for any case you have to add more powder to get more velocity and stay under safe pressure limits. Understand? If you don't, I can help you more later.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you stuff all that powder into a RUM it's going to go faster, it had better. But the queston should be how much powder does one use to make all rounds equal say for the sake of argument 3100 fps and you have a 3200 fps RUM that uses 10 grs or more ( alot of powder)to gain 100 feet. That's the dirty little secret handloaders fail to tell when they post.
Wow!A larger case and more powder increases the velocity,what a concept.Now everyone knows the secret.So the RUM burns 10gr more powder to gain 100fps to 125fps over the 300wby,big deal.Is the cost of that extra 10gr of powder going to break your budget?Considering that my 300 RUM handloads cost less than somefactory loads for cartridges like the 30-06,I couldn't care less if I burn a little more powder.If you are so concerned about efficiency,shoot a 30-30 and live with the limitations that it's ballistics demand,and let those nastyhandloaders practisetheir dirty little hobby.Then again maybe some day you might actuallybe able to understand theconcept of handloading,and you might even get over your fear of those big bad RUMs.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

The point is you can take say 300 win mag add a grain or two and walla, you have ballistics equal to the RUM factory load at with 10 grains or moreLess powder. Most people don't handload and was making sure that someone doesn't get deer in the headlight look over ballistics thinking the RUM is the second coming.
I understand handloading and all that goes with it. Been there got the T shirt, Know about strecthed case , flatten primers etc etc. It's a fine hobby and one gets enjoyment out of loading one's own. I gave up reloading about 10 years ago when I discover some factory ammo was giving accuracy performance the couldn't be improved upon. I believe 1/8 -3/16 groups center to center would be hard to improve on out of a hunting rifle.I love how insults can fly. Fear I don't think go considering I owned 300 weatherby's over 30 years ago , along with a 338 in the past and presently have two 375 H & H 's hopefully to go to Africa in the near future.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:51 PM
bigcountry

Have you ever shot em ruddy? Might want to think about that before going to Africa. Just reading about em isn't going to get the job done.

No offense, but with your original post, its very hard for me to imagine you reload or ever had. Hardcore reloaders on here would probably agree.

I have never had a 300win mag or weatherby that could close to the performance of a 300RUM. I have yet to ever see a 300win mag come close to 3350fps with 180gr bullet.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 PM

Ruddy you don't seem to make much sense. First you said you have to compare factory ammo to factory ammo to compare the different cartridges, (by the way is definately not true if you ever want to reload), then you say that if you add powder to a win mag (which is reloading) you can get up to RUM factory performane. That is comparing handloading to factory. And if you somehow are getting 1/8 in groups out of factory ammo that is pretty incredible and i also wouldn't reload. Kinda hard to believe unless you're using the best custom rifles.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

The point is factory loads are close with different offerings and what one puts into a round and what one gets out. Most people don't handload. I don't believe the RUM is an efficient round when you look at how much more goes in and what come out.
Try some Hornady and Federal premium rounds if you don't believe you can't get factory ammo to shoot like handloads. I've put various boxes thru a crony and got a max of 20fps deviation.
And to those that like to throw around insults , I was shooting while some were in diapers and worked at a commercial range for almost 15 years. I've shot just about every thing imaginable from 22 shorts to 50 bmg's . You shouldn't use your mouth for breaking wind son.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-11-2005, 07:35 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Ruddyduck

The point is factory loads are close with different offerings and what one puts into a round and what one gets out. Most people don't handload. I don't believe the RUM is an efficient round when you look at how much more goes in and what come out.
Try some Hornady and Federal premium rounds if you don't believe you can't get factory ammo to shoot like handloads. I've put various boxes thru a crony and got a max of 20fps deviation.
And to those that like to throw around insults , I was shooting while some were in diapers and worked at a commercial range for almost 15 years. I've shot just about every thing imaginable from 22 shorts to 50 bmg's . You shouldn't use your mouth for breaking wind son.
Wow,what ashameall those years, and still havn't learned anything. Still having trouble with the concept of more powder means more velocity.Well not everybody can be top of thier class. But don't worry, your still special.

Quick Reply: 300.wsm vs. 300 rem ultra mag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.