Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Savage makes some accurate guns >

Savage makes some accurate guns

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Savage makes some accurate guns

Old 10-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: can you replace the stock?

From my experinces withSavage(translated Salvage) rifles,they are just like anything manufactured...you can get good one and bad ones. They are made cheaply, fit and finish looks like a high school ag class did it. The stocks, wood and synthetic(actually some sort of injection molded plastic) are simply CHEAP looking and feel CHEAP! Before the accutrigger came out I swear they used a rock as a sear. The tang safety is hard to use too, at least in my case.
I would venture to say out of all the different manufactures they are on the bottom of the list. They do have a purpose and are targeting that market.... that being the average joe hunter that needs a cheap accurate hunting rifle.

I say this as a SAVAGEowner....did I just say that....I meant SALVAGE

Life is good, Give God the Glory....doubleA
I still stand by the statement above and thinkI have the right to make an opinion just like anyone else. I am sorry if it offends some of you but I am making a PERSONAL opinion here, not something I have heard or read, hear say etc.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 PM

i must have missed something here also. what iswrong with a cheap accurate rifle. always wondered why some guys pay 2 or 3 times more for something and get the same affect. i have yet to find a gun that shoots better because of the grain in the wood. and i would rather buy three guns than paythree times more for one. just my opinion
Old 10-12-2005, 08:57 PM

Default RE: Savage makes some accurate guns

I like cheap guns that shoot and good looking guns that shoot as well. If it doesn't shoot well, it is worthless. Otherwise little or a lot of money is just user preference. And some people like nice expensive guns because they are just plain fun to own. More power to ya. I have a custom Win Model 70 stainless that is a beautiful gun and a stock 11F Savage that is a plain old work horse. The only thing that matters to me is that they both shoot like a dream.

Here they are

Old 10-13-2005, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KansasHunter5

I like cheap guns that shoot and good looking guns that shoot as well. If it doesn't shoot well, it is worthless. Otherwise little or a lot of money is just user preference. And some people like nice expensive guns because they are just plain fun to own. More power to ya. I have a custom Win Model 70 stainless that is a beautiful gun and a stock 11F Savage that is a plain old work horse. The only thing that matters to me is that they both shoot like a dream.
Well said..
Old 10-13-2005, 03:44 PM

Savage has just come out with a deluxe blued wood stock 110 series called (I think) the 114 American Classic. The finish is High luster blue. the stock is American Walnut with wrap around checkering and an ebony fore end. This rifle looks beautiful and comes with the acutrigger. List price is 616.00 US
okcmco
Old 10-14-2005, 09:35 AM

I am a voracious reader of gun and hunting mags. I love product reviews and field tests. For the life of me, I can't ever remember a bad review of any Savage rifle. From the .22's to the centerfires, every review reported at least good performance and usually excellent performance. There were the usual grumblings about that knurled thing holding the barrel to the action. And I agree that the synthetic stock looks like something Matell made. BUt you can get on with a wood stock if you so desire, and thier laminated stock is nice.
Bottom line is they shoot. And they are cheap. No one said they are svelt or elegant.
okcmco
Old 10-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

I gave up on gun rags years ago. Most main stream mags have over opinionated scribes that are sponsored in some way by the manufactures they are supposed to be evaluating. !! You think for one moment a writer is going to bad mouth the hand that is feeding him? They, the magazines depend on advertising from them to survive. It doesnt matter if it's a Remington, Savage, Weatherby, Jarret,H&R etc.

The Remington 710 is a good example, on the forums here and elsewhere the M710are beaten down to a point where one would only use it foronlydoorstop, yet I bet in the Rifle,G&A,ST they are given a thumbs up.[8D] Who are you going to beleve, a well known paid gun scribe or a cyber guy or your own personal experince?

I do remember one, I think it's called GunTest that accepted no advertisements and supposedly had fair reports.

That's my take on magazines, just my opinion though.

As far as guns go , I like them all, cheap ones,exspensive ones, averaged priced...it doesnt much matter to me.

Here are a couple of Savages I own, far left is a 7mm Mag with Simmons glass....second from right is a 270 Win with a Nikon . The others are a Kimber/Swarovski and a Sako/Zeiss combinations. I shoot and enjoy them all.

Sorry for the low quaility pic, left my good camera at the camp house.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

doubleA, very nice picture...