Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 .17 hmr      ( help pick)!!!! >

.17 hmr ( help pick)!!!!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.17 hmr ( help pick)!!!!

Old 08-06-2005, 06:28 PM

Default RE: .17 hmr ( help pick)!!!!

ORIGINAL: Wolf killer

I would buy the Ruger M-77 Laminated stock, target grey barrel.
I second that suggestion!
Old 08-07-2005, 03:48 PM

Savage for a cheaper rifle, Ruger for a nicer rifle. Marlins are UGLY ( accurate though!)
Old 08-11-2005, 03:18 AM

How much would you spend on a lightly used marlin m 17? 200 dollars? somoenes selling it for 200 bucks and i;'m trying to decide if its worth it.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:09 PM

I have a T/C G2 in 17hmr It is a nice little gun and very accurate with 17gr Federal ammo.

I really like the gun! Great little carry gun!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Ruger's are a nice rifle. A little pricey for a 17.For the money it's hard to beattheSavage.I've had one for quite awhile. Just haven't fired it yet.Geez I almost did. Got it to the range then ran out of time.Firing the 17 isn't one of my top priorities.Just not enough time in a day for the enjoyable things in life.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 08-14-2005, 04:42 PM

According to the guys on Rimfirecentral.com the rugers don't seem to be as accurate out of the box as the savage and marlins do, and cost almost twice as much. Not that they all shoot like crap or anything. It just seems the marlin and savages all seem to shoot great, but some of the rugers are not quite as good and others are. It's sort of hit and miss. None of them shoot bad though. The general opinion seems to be if you are on budget go with the savage or marlin, both are great. Even if you are not on a budget they are great rifles. The ruger does feel more like a centerfire rifle though.

H&R also makes a nice one if you don't mind a single shot break action. Or the henry lever guns. And then there is the CZ and others.

$200 dollars seems a bit high for a used savage. It would depend on what model and what kind of glass it comes with. I own a savage heavy barrel with the standard stock and it cost me $200 brand new. Of course it has a $400 scope on it, so $200 for mine would be a great deal. Now if you are talking about the stainless heavy barrel with the laminated stock that is not bad either.

My personal advice would be unless you are a Ruger die hard, get a savage heavy barrel and the rifle basix trigger and then some nice glass for it. Or a marlin, which ever looks and feels best to you. Pretty much any of the .17HMR rifles are accurate. It is an inherently accurate round, they designed it with that in mind.

I did a test with mine a few weeks ago and fired three round at 50 yards, another three at 75 and then three more at 100. Eight rounds went into a hole a dime could cover and I had one flyer that was a quarter of an inch off to the right. A VERY small wind gust could have caused that. Or it could have been me.

The only thing I can see bad about the round in general is the price, the stuff is about 10 bucks a box where I live. And it doesn't fair very well in the wind at all. It is so small and light it doesn't take much to blow it off course. If I still lived in the victorville CA area I wouldn't even waste the money. Two things you could count on there. The sun and the wind.

I used to think this was an expensive round for what it was until I bought a slug gun a few days ago. 15 bucks for five shells!!! That is crazy in my opinion.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you get one though you will love it. I have not met very many people that did not like them after shooting them a little bit. We were talking about what the hottest caliber was lately on the gun forum so I asked my local guns store. They said with out a doubt the .17HMR. They sell the crap out of them. And next would be the trusty 30-06 even though you can't hunt deer with a rifle in lower michigan.

That is my opinion any way.

Paul
Old 08-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Being a lefty helped in my decision. I opted for the Savage 93 also. Its more accurate than I can shoot it, but it will definately keep them in 3/4" at 100 yds - but only with Remington Premier ammo (17 gr). Other ammo opens up the group size. The money I saved getting the Savage, I used to purchase a Rifle Basix trigger for it. I installed myself in about 15 mins. This makes Savage #4 in my safe and will be there for quite a while.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:20 PM

my marlin 17hmr with bull barrell shoots groupsthat 8 out of 10 are touching or through the same hole at 50 yrds and dime and a hare bigger at 100yrds out of the box it cost $189 plus a $69 scope
Old 11-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Spike

I guess the question should be what is your budget and how much will it be used and what is your purpose.

I boght the Savage and put a sightron scope on it. I have a total of $250 in the setup.

I bought the savage b/c it will shoot betterthat I can, it was inexpensive, I could put it in teh truck and not worry about scratches or dings. I have been completely happy with the gun.

At 50 yards I am putting holes in quarters all day long.

Wally World has a syn blue savage for about $160

Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

The Ruger's are a nice rifle. A little pricey for a 17.For the money it's hard to beattheSavage.I've had one for quite awhile. Just haven't fired it yet.Geez I almost did. Got it to the range then ran out of time.Firing the 17 isn't one of my top priorities.Just not enough time in a day for the enjoyable things in life.

Ruger Redhawk

Last week in NW NC I fired 300rds of CCI .17cal,and was
very impressed with the Savage! Most of my rifles are Ruger.

Quick Reply: .17 hmr ( help pick)!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.