Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger No. 1

Old 06-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ruger No. 1

Anyone own one and what's your opinion of them?They sure look nice,wondering about quality and accuracy.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:08 PM

Default RE: Ruger No. 1

I have owned two of them. One was a sporter barreled 30-06, and the other was a heavy barreled 220 swift. Both were great guns. The swift was a really good shooter out of the box. The 30-06 needed some help. I just ended up putting in some pressure under the fore stock and it got better. Never had any problems what so ever. The only reason I still don't have them is because they were lost in a house fire.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:44 PM

I have one in 7 MM, shoots great after I had the stock shortened and a better shoulder pad installed.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up a #1 in 45 70 several months back. The trigger was crisp and it has been very pleasant to shoot. With the cheap Remington factory ammo I was grouping 1.75 inches at 100 with a hot barrel. I was shooting from a table top; I suspect with sandbags and ammo selection it could go better... but hee hee, it ain't no varmint rifle!

I did have to clean a light colored granular material out of the action (that looked and felt alot like sand) before I took it out to shoot.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

I had one in a 7 mm Mag. one of the most accurate rifles that I have ever owned.
But after a year with it and about 8 to 9 hundred rounds later the hinge pin bent causing it to lock in the open position. I took it to the gunsmith and he said it is a common problem with the # 1's. I ended up selling it becouse I didnt want it to happen again on a hunt. I had a 1B SS LAM.

I dont think that I will ever have anouther #1 agaon, even though I love to shoot singleshots. I guess that you san say I just dont trust them.

Just my experiance.
hunter338
Old 06-16-2005, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I owned a couple. Loved them, but my NEF's shoot as well with the right shells and a little work.

The NEF's aren't as pretty, and that matches me. LOL

They are fine qualityfirearms, though!
Old 06-16-2005, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the Ruger No1-B in a 22-250. I found this rifle to be very heavy for a single shot but was nice to shoot. I was getting good groups for the short time I had it. This rifle was well made but was manufactured in 1977 so I’m not sure how it would compare to today's No 1. I did find I had a problem having to reach when looking thru the scope. I had gotten extended rings but it hadn’t solved the problem so instead of shortening the stock, I sold it. Would I get another one, YES but would get the scope to match the rifle.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

I have a #1 A light sporter in 7x57 Mauser, I have had this gun for10 years now. I love this gun accuracy with remington core-loks is under 1.5" at 100 yards but with a few different reloads I can get between 1/2" and1" groups. The cheap remingtons are the only factory ammo I have shot threw it, but I am sure that if I tried some others I could find some the gun liked better. The trigger is set at a crisp 4 pounds and the gun is balanced very well. Ruger puts some of the best walnut stocks on their factory rifles. The ONLY thing I don't like about this gun is the front sight. You can't take it off. You can only take the blade off the very top. I have a 1.5-6x36 scope and under 3x you can see the front sight in the scope. You get use to it but if they would take them off it would probably lighten the rifle up by a 1/4 pound and you wouldn't see it in the scope.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:13 AM

They can have problems with the already mentioned foreend pressure, luckily, enough of them have had this problem that fixes are well documented.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

If you are going to reload, you are not limited to magazine length. If you noticed my in my picture above my 150gr Nosler BSTs look really long. I have them seated long for more case capacity. I can get 2800fps with a 150gr bullet or 2900fps with a 140gr bullet.

Quick Reply: Ruger No. 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.