Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 Looking to chat with persons in Wheelchairs >

Looking to chat with persons in Wheelchairs

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Looking to chat with persons in Wheelchairs

Old 02-02-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Looking to chat with persons in Wheelchairs

I am looking to start a business for persons in wheelchairs or any disabilty for that matter to be able to enjoy the outdoors. I will need help on devloping tools and help putting together a business plan. Money is not so much the issue because I know if I can create a good plan I will get the sponsorship I need. If you would like to help with this and join the group let me know.
Just so you know the business would be a guide service that will allow a person that is say in a wheelchair to take his or her family fishing.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking to chat with persons in Wheelchairs

I'm in a wheelchair and hunt,ask away...
Old 02-05-2005, 06:10 AM

Hello PaJack
Thank you for your responce hopefully we can help each other. What my goal in life is is to start a fishing guide service for persons in wheelchairs. I am a person who lives on a lake in Northern Wisconsin and has the luxuary of fishing nearley every day in the summertime. I do not take this for granted and when I am out there watching Eagles ,Deer and Bear I think that every person should be able to enjoy this happines and tranquility. What I am going to do is buy a 26' pontoon boat and modify it for wheelchair use. Now my plan is not just to be able to park a wheelchair on the boat and go, but to set the boat up so that the person can control the boat themselves thus taking their family fishing or just sight seeing. I feel there are not many ways for persons with physical limitations to do things with the family and have a sence of independance.
What I need is advise on how this boat should be equiped for the best possible experiance from getting on the boat having a onboard restroom facility and even setting it up with joystick control. Any advise on how this would best be done would be great because even though I am very creative I am not in a wheelchair so cannot fully understand the needs.
If you would like you can email me at [email protected]
Any help would be great and Thank You.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Hi HarleyJohn,
I think it's great what you are doing. I'm on the west coast and have worked a number of years (18 to be exact) as an architectural draftsman. Building codes may not match the east coast but I assume it will be similar considering both are interpretations of the ADA handbook. Here are a few things to consider:

---RAMPS
-Make ramps a 1:12 slope. Ie, for every inch rise, 12 inches vertical. So, ramps from dock to boat should be 1:12.
-Ramps, passageways, aisles should be 36" wide.
-Landing should have 5' turn radius. Basically a 5'x5' square at the bottom and top of a ramp for them to turn around.
-Ramps should have some form of non-slick surface.

---Handrails
-Handrails should be 36" high.
-Handrails should have a minimum of 300 lbs of deflection. Ie, able to handle 300lbs without twisting.
-Both sides of Ramps should have a handrail but one side should extend at least 12" beyond ramp.

There are too many restrictions on bathrooms. So, I won't put it here. Also, I don't think you'll want a bathroom? But, you might think of putting some kind of way to secure wheelchairs as they usually use seatbelts for both securing the people and their chairs.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:27 AM

Awesome, this is exactly what I have been looking for. The little detail things are the ones that worry me for insurance because if it is not just right they wont insure me. I plan to involve someone from the ADA group to help in the design. Thank you.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:43 AM

Harley-i have a brother-in-law who is on a chair and has control of 3 or 4 hospitals in the harrisburg, pa area. he may be able to give you some details, because he oversees physical therepy and occupational therepy. his name is Mike Goodling . 717-540-5859--tell him Don Hertz gave you the info.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:58 PM

Harley I think what you are doing is fantasic and my hat is off to you, I am disabled but not in wheel chair yet. If there is anything I can do please dont hesitate to ask, funds are my only draw back as being on disability I have very little but I will do what I can,Jimmy
Old 02-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Harley-John,I don't fish any more,sorry...[&o]