Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 NY State Outdoors for people with disabilities >

NY State Outdoors for people with disabilities

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

NY State Outdoors for people with disabilities

Old 07-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Spike

Default NY State Outdoors for people with disabilities

This week I accepted an invitation from a New York State Department of Environmental Conservation representative, to participate in a meeting next week for a team formed to look into hunting and fishing opportunities for people with disabilities. This team is a direct result from the directive issued by the new commissioner, Pete Grannis, inviting input by August 8, 2007 for a comprehensive review of current opportunities and future needs. This review would support Project 2015 which addresses increased life expectancy and its afflictions on all Americans. My name was mentioned by top management of the Region 8 area who were in attendance at a January 2007 meeting when I acknowledged what the Department had done thus far and what else, in my opinion, needed to be done.

One issue I plan to raise is the reduction of license fees because of limited access and opportunity of an impaired sportsman. I will cite precedence established elsewhere, primarily in our southern states. The point I would like to make is that the reduction would increase re-applications by outdoorsmen with disabilities who have allowed their licenses to elapse and thereby stimulate growth to the industry and more revenue for the Department. A powerful tool in this argument would be your testimonials where you have witnessed such growth. Please respond by July 22, 2007 so as to afford me ample time to sort and condense your input.

Additionally, I welcome all suggestions for the refinement of current programs as well as ideas for and implementation of future plans. This is an opportunity for you to voice opinions related to the issue of outdoor recreation for all. If you would, please state if you are involved with an organization that provides outdoor recreational opportunities to individuals with disabilities and the extent of the program. Know that your response will have more positive impact than you can imagine.

I have posted this email on several boards of hunting and fishing forums to which I subscribe. The compilation of this data on your input would be so much easier if all would respond directly to my
[email protected] email address.

Thank You,
Rob
Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NY State Outdoors for people with disabilities

Rob congrats man! I look forward to hearing about what comes from these meetings. Let me know if you need any help with anything.
dan