Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 What Would You Do ? >

What Would You Do ?

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

What Would You Do ?

Old 11-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Spike

Default What Would You Do ?

I know there is a lot of people out there that
Would Love to go hunting but Can't.

They are on disibility.

Not all disabled people are in wheel chairs although a lot are.

The reason a lot of disabled people don't get to hunt.
Is mostly because of the cost.

They have familys to feed and bills to pay.

After the bills theres nothing left.

So they just don't get to go.

So what are we going to do about it ???????????????????

Any one have any Ideas ?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: What Would You Do ?

They have familys to feed and bills to pay.

After the bills theres nothing left.

So they just don't get to go.
Aint that the truth.

Then the gas prices don't help any.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:54 AM
Typical Buck

People think when they are disabled, that's it. They often give up and other people treat them that way. They can always make friends with other hunters who are willing to take them out. Boards such as these. They just have to ask. I would be willing to take someone duck hunting here in West Washington if they don't mind my dog running round.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

you may be disabled but you are not dead.do not give up.maybe you can not go places you use to to hunt but you can still hunt around where you live.iuse to hunt canada,newfoundland,and SC,now i just hunt close to home.you do not need alot of money to do that.my arms are not to good anymore and i am going blind 25/400 i do not get much anymore.but i still get out in the woods and to me thats what the hunt is all about.i have some great buddys that take me out and i thank them for that.if the docs are right i will be blind till i am 45 i got 2 more years and i am not giveing up till i see all dark.then i will give it up but for now hunt hunt hunt.if you would like a buddy for life take a disabled hunter out hunting and you will have a freind for life
Old 11-30-2005, 04:50 PM

Hey shump,

That's the way to go! My sight is also going along with a dozen other disabilities, including my heart. Fortunately, I moved to northcentral PA so I don't have far to go to hunt. Just as you I "take my gun for a walk". i go wether I can walk or not. Disabled hunters in Pa can get a permit to use a car as a blind. I have one, and go out if even to just sit in the woods. There are a lot of ways that take little money to go hunting, even if you are disabled. I don't have the proverbial pot to --- in. still I go out. There are risks to hunting in my condition, but if I were to die on a hunt in "my Woods" I would consider myself lucky. It sure beats sitting home crying about my ills. If there is anyone out there disabled who wants to hunt, find a way, there are always ways if you are constructive. Just get out and do it.

shump,I see you're from PA., maybe I'll meet up with you in the big woods one day!

Regards,
seaotter
Old 12-06-2005, 12:12 PM

I am a retired disable Deputy Sheriff,I was hurt on the Job 3 times,then I had 3 strokes. I can walk but only a short distance with the help of a cane. I still hunt out of a Doublebull blind that my son or my son-in-law puts up for me at a friend of mind who lets only me hunt. I can drive my truck to within about ten yrd. of my blind and park it behind a row of ceader tree's. Man it's good to have friend like that.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:53 PM

Yeah, it sounds like you have some good friends. I was able to get into the woods last week for a couple of hours. That was great. I also was thinking about something. Here in PA if you have a disabled permit to use a car as a blind, there are roads and trails only open to individuals with a permit. They can take another licensed hunter with them. So, if a disabled hunter asks you to go hunting with them, a hunter in good shape should jump at the chance. For a few minutes of helping the disabled hunter, the healthy one gets to go to some nice remote spots to hunt on gamelands and state & national forests. Sure beats hiking miles in and out, especially if you bag a deer. So all involved can benefit from this type of relationship. In PA it only costs $5 for a permit for life. Go to the game commission's website, all the info is there. Give it a try, you'll be surprised how enjoyable it can be.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:21 PM
ogo

Hi all, been lurking around this site for quite some time,bout time I add my half cent worth lol. I to have a Pa. hunt from a vehicle permit.I'am lucky to have two son's that help me out when hunting, along with some great brother inlaws.I took care of all of them when they wher growing up.now I tell them it's pay back time''''. Most often I just set off the road by the truck. The weather slows me down the most. I live on a small farm. I shot two doe this year. one off the front porch and one off the back,oh well I take them any way the good lord send's them.**************ogo
Old 12-13-2005, 08:47 PM

Way to go ogo!!! One from the front and one from the back porch! Shows there's no dust gathering on you. It's alway's great to hear that guys like us are still trying to get out there. I wish you luck and health in getting out next season. "Old hunters never die, they just find another way!!"
Old 01-10-2006, 12:54 AM

Good for all you people---I am mos tfortunate to live in South West Montana.. I spent the first 37yrs of my life in Central Penna. Oddly enough as i get older I miss it alot-but as i discovered, the saying is true-"You can never go home again"
But, I can get out a little here, when i feel up to it and can save enough to gas up the old truck-and I still marvel at the mountains and the shine of the sun on an elks antlers.
Or the rare times i can still throw a fly line and see the flashing strike of a nice cut-throat slashing up to my fly.
Because they are so rare now-they are more precious....After about 15 minutes my hands hurt too much to hold the fly rod, so I stick it under my arm and stand there, the water running through my legs, and look around me at the splendor God created and thank him for the opportunity to be here.
Often, I have to go lie down by a log and rest for awhile-because everything that I do hurts me.
My brother used to go everywhere with me. I can still see him walking down the stream side-looking for me, calling my name. When he found me he would sit beside me and tell me what he caught/missed.
Never mentioning my condition...Untill I was ok to get up and start over..
He moved back to Penna about 7-8 yrs ago-I miss him terribly, but I know that I would miss this place more..in a different way.
He doesn't fish anymore-or hunt....
But whenever he can ge tout here, he LOVESto ge tthe flyrods out and head for Rock Creek again, and after about half an hour-the old skills come back..
Did I mention that I miss my brother
Take care all and make every day special-I nkow how hard that is and i certainly don't practice what i preach often enough. This is a goo dplace, I'm glad I found it.
Leep Out:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.