Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 What Would You Do ? >

What Would You Do ?

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

What Would You Do ?

Old 02-07-2006, 11:23 PM

Default RE: What Would You Do ?

My nephew was diagnosed with bone cancer when he was eight years-old and had a "rotationplasty" procedure, which is where they amputate above the knee, remove the foot from the leg at mid-calf, and graft the foot to the thigh backwards to act as a knee. Thisknee isthen fitted into a prosthetic. He has since learned to snowboard (broke his wrist and his prosthetic last week), ride adirtbike (broke his prosthetic last summer), and was the high scorer on his lacrosse team two years ago! Last year he bought a compound bow and asked me if he could hunt with me on my buddy's farm in Western NY when he turns 14. I said sure! Then he asked if we could hunt from a permanent treestand that's on the farm. I told him that if he thought he could get up and down it was OK with me (I'll be with him). His reply was priceless:" I wasn't worrying about me, Uncle Jeff. When I turn 14 you'll be 50 and I was worrying about you!"
Old 02-12-2006, 12:50 PM

It sounds like that young man has a great outlook on life. He doesn't see himself as disabled, he just adapts. I believe he'll go far in life. I wish him great hunting too!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:40 PM

I was a forester before Rheumatoid Arthritis put me in a chair and a bone infection took my right leg below the knee. Now, taking the outdoors out of me isinconceivible so I get out as much as possible. Only deep snow keeps me indoors. I take photo's for sale and do a little writing but mostly I just live my life. Have a buddy with severe Parkinson's and we sorta lean on each other. Was lucky enough to marry a woman whose job includes the perks of living on a large ranch so many hunting/fishing opportunities are close to me. I belong to a group called Challenge The Outdoors and have witnessed the good work that can be done when people of all walks of life come together.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:08 PM

Hello yeti3670! Glad to hear you're getting around. No grass growing on your feet! Glad to hear you belong to Challenge the Outdoors, They are a good group. If you're not yet a member of "The Disabled Life", check them out. I am a member and know you would enjoy their members and site. The email address is in another post in this section.

At any rate, keep enjoying yourself, that's what life is about...
Old 03-23-2006, 03:54 PM

I have a 17 year old son that has CP. He never has much as rolled over or called me "daddy". I can only dream of the times would have had in the field together. I currently am watching my father in law in the end stages of Alhizmers at the age of 58.

I have access to 300 acres in Kentucky to hunt. I would be willing to help anyone that wanted to hunt with me.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:57 PM

PS. If you think you have special needs or are disable you should see me
with a bow!!!! I am the one that needs help!!! LOL