Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Lucky 13"   (13) Thread >

Official Team "Lucky 13" (13) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Lucky 13" (13) Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team "Lucky 13" (13) Thread

Thanks guys and gal. Some of the responces I got have me thinking. My son is such a great kid. He has offered to take me to any one of several gound spots we have used and drop me off. He would leave me there with my bow. Then if I get one I would call him and he would leave his stand to come get it. It I don't then he would just come back with the atv and pick me up. All I have to do now is get this thing healed enough that I can keep it down. Seems when I put the foot down all the blood rushes to it. I hope the circulation returns soon.

And DC I know the good Lord had a hand in this. It showed me what I already knew about Matt but I don't know that he knew it. Also it has showed me how much everyone in my life really does love me. My wife and daughter have been so helpful trying to make sure I have everything I need. Seems sometimes I can take these things for granted. Guess I shouldn't be doing that anymore.

Good luck to all of you out there. Just watch the footing. It can happen so fast. I'll keep checking the boards. Not like I have much else to do.[]
Old 11-02-2004, 08:25 PM

WI, Matt knows how much you love to hunt, I'm sure he'll do what ever he can to help you out. Just think, if it wasn't for you he most likely wouldn't be a hunter.

Well, I got out in the stand today in between the rains in the afternoon. I had the same 5 pt buck 20 yards away. I let him walk again....... about 30 minutes later I had a fork run up on me at 10 yards away I didn't even have enough time to stand before he took off. 30 minutes later the fork came back and was broad side to me 10 YARDS away. His head was behind a tree and he stood there for 2-3 minutes. He was a decent sized deer but the score would have been 30-40. If it would have been a weekend morning I'da taken him. I'm waiting for the larger ones. In years past I've had 70-100 near me. I hope their still around.
I heard another hunter rattleing about 100 yards away from me, first time i'd heard or seen a hunter on the property adjacent to mine.
I didn't find my arrow or the squirrel for that matter. I'd say the squirrel died and a coyote ran off with both the squirrel and arrow[:@].

Sorry for the long post, I just had a blast hunting today. Next day will be Thursday.
Cooler weather's around the corner!!!
KK
Old 11-03-2004, 12:17 AM

The bucks are definitely on the move. I have seen more bucks than does during the last few days. At least now I know that there are at least 3 legal bucks cruising the property - the 7 point that came in with my doe, a nice 8 point I seen on the 29th & 1st, and one today that was an 8+ with long tall tines. Yesterday I had a 6 pointer walk all around me at about 10 yards. He never even looked at me - he was on a mission.
When I visited my parents on Sunday we seen a huge buck that was at least a 10 pointer going up and down the field just below their house. I am allowed to hunt this farm so I am planning a trip possibly this week. I usually don't hunt there until the rifle season but since I used my doe tag for this area I have another one for that area. Actually, there are still 1000's of doe tags available for that area since it is in the Pittsburgh area WMU. Anyway, I'm not crazy about hunting this farm as it is mostly hill and hard to get around - they don't actually farm it anymore. Last year we seen an even bigger buck and as far as we know no one got him. It will be exciting to hunt there as it is a change of area with the prospect of a really nice buck.

P.S. My uncle just mangled his little VW last night by hitting a deer. I haven't heard yet if it was a buck or doe...
Old 11-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey everyone you all seem to be seeing some nice deer. Stay at it and we will get more points on the board.

Jen - BE CAREFUL walking around in those hills. I can tell you that I NEVER thought it could happen to me. Well it did.

Anyway I got my first cast on today. They told me I should be able to keep my foot down in the next week or two. As soon as I can do that I think I will have Matt haul me out to the fields. I got to see the x-rays today with all the hardware. I guess I have to metal strips (plates) and a total of 12 screws.

Well looks like I will be at the cabin this weekend. Matt wants to hunt the rut and he is going to take me out there with him. I won't be hunting yet but it will be nice to at least be back out there.

Good luck all and thanks for all the well wishes.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:30 PM

Heading to IL tomorrow, be back next Thursday, hopefully with a buck!!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:20 AM
etw

Howdy from East Texas. I hunted last weekend, one eve & one morning. Nothing! I'm right in the middle of an acorn storm, lots of sign, hunting high. Haven't seen a deer since the second week of October. The Youth deer hunting weekend was Oct 30-31, my grandson Patrick age 12 nailed a beautiful 10 point buck- his first deer using his H&R 30-30.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:57 PM

Well fellow team mebers My luck is changing. I have been seeing more bucks and does over the last couple hunts. I have been using a decoy over the past couple days and have had some very interesting reactions from the bucks and does. I did see a very large body deer Tuesday night that was workign a scrap. I could not see the rack due to leaving the binos on the ground But the he must have been 250-300lbs. He did not see my decoy before ducking into the brush. I sat on him wed eve and called in to small bucks a 8pt and a 7 pointer. All came right in and stopped by the decoy with a OH Chit look on them. I ended up shooting a Large Doe just at dark and she went out into the flooded bottons. I thought I hit her in the sweet spot. I located my arrow in the water with a some blood still left on it. I then heard her splashing about 30yrds away. I left her until morning. When I returned this morning. the water had come up 5-10 ft and the water was waist deep in most of the bottoms. I swam around for 2 hrs and never located her. I fugured the current sweep her away or she is under water in all the weeds. Any suggestions. I never seen any blood due to the water.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:58 PM

etw - congratulations to your grandson! That must have been something to get a deer like that as a first buck.... I'm still working on mine...

BLKLAB - that's tough luck on your doe. I guess by now it would be too late for recovery anyhow. Of course, had it been a buck I would have put put a drag line!

Yesterday evening and today we had very high winds. I've been seeing a lot of deer but they seem to be the same ones every day - except for the occasional buck that wonders by in the distance. AS I was going in for the evening I watched a turkey fly up to roost. I thought maybe I would go out this morning with the shotgun and see if I could get it.
Woke up this morning and the wind was blowing. I do not like to hunt in wind like that so I didn't go. Went to Wallyworld in the afternoon and got a new fleece camo jacket and headcover. Came home just in time to run up the hill into the woods. I am glad I did. The neighboring farmer was cutting the remaining corn and I am very happy about that - now the deer have to bed in the woods. So, his tractor was leaving off all this diesel stink and the deer did not mind. I had a 3 point walk right by at about 8 feet. He was eating these long pointy green weeds off the ground. I gotta look those up to see what they were. Then I seen another deer that was either a BB or doe. THEN I SEEN THE BIG BOY! I'm about 50 yards into the woods but with my binoculars I could see this deer with giant horns standing at the edge of the field. I am not lying when I say that he's got G-2's at least a foot long! My heart was ready to bust just thinking that he might come in and walk by me. He never did but I sure am happy to know that he is still out there. You can guess where I will be tomorrow evening!!!!

I feel bad for you guys not seeing anything. If there was a way to beam you up here for a hunt I would! All I can do is wish you the best of luck and hope that the rut gets the deer moving for you.

Sorry to ramble, but I was so excited!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 10:09 PM

Jen!!! great to hear about the buck kyou saw. Now go out and get it for yourself and for the team. I'll be out for 3-4 hours tomorrow and then Sunday morning unless I get the big one tomorrow.
I go to University of Southern Indiana for college. Its located in Evansville Indiana. Its a Division II school. We are going to play agaist University of Evansville which is a Division I school tomorrow. Both schools have been located in Evansville for years and tomorrow will be the first meeting between the 2 schools. Basketball btw.

Good luck everyone

LET THE RUT BEGIN!!!!!
Old 11-06-2004, 05:18 AM

I seen 1 shooter Buck at work this morning on the Cameras chasing a Doe and 3 more shooters on the way home running the does. Unfortunatly I am not allowed to hunt the grounds at work. I decided to go home and sleep and hit it in the evening. So I Went out again lastnight and seen a little Doe but no Bucks. I was kinda shocked that nothing was moving after what I seen in the morning, I did something I have never done and that was the use of a drag line with Doe Urine. I didn't know what to expect. either way Only one deer and nothing else moving. the wind was blowing pretty hard which did not help the situation. Oh well will try again.

Quick Reply: Official Team "Lucky 13" (13) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.